The North Carolina Maritime Museum at Southport could have a new home next year. Thursday night, the Southport Board of Alderman voted unanimously to support Fort Johnston as the new home for the museum. In the midst of budget cuts, the state cut the $60,000 a year they had been paying for the maritime museum's rent. If Southport could not find a new home for it, the museum would have had to close after Labor Day. Museum supporters said a move to Fort Johnston makes perfect sense. “It is right on the water, it is part of history, and so much of Southport is maritime history,” said Walt Madsen. “Fort Johnston is maritime history, so it just seems natural.” The move is not official just yet. State law requires 10 days public notice before the sale or lease of public property. The alderman could vote on a final agreement for the museums new home on June 11th.
- Video Central
- About WWAY