Firefighters and the Red Cross were busy today responding to fires in two counties. Not only was it a busy day on Monday, but it's been a busy month for both teams. One of today's fires was the third multi-unit fire in Wilmington in the past month. The other was a trailer home fire, one of many as of late. Victims of two fires on Monday are seeking shelter, as their homes are virtually unlivable. "The support for food, clothing and shelter, the immediate disaster cause needs, of those that are affected," said Victoria Kling of Red Cross Emergency Services. The Red Cross started the morning at the Lakeside Apartments off Oleander. It is the third fire at an apartment complex in the past month. Officials said this one was caused by a cigarette. “Smoking or leaving barbecue on the front porch, that's the biggest problem," said Alex Fulcher, a Red Cross volunteer. A few hours later and more than 30 miles away, the Red Cross was en route to a mobile home fire in Shallotte. Officials said the fire started in the kitchen and the family was lucky to get out alive. No one was hurt in either fire. Victims were too shaken up to speak with us on camera. Fire officials say recovering from blazes like these is not easy... Chris Elrod of the Wilmington Fire Department said, "We encourage and recommend especially those college students to have renters insurance, many people do not have renters insurance, and in this case they could lose everything they have and have no way to recoup their loss in that." Officials said, however, renter's insurance is some of the most inexpensive coverage you can get in the state of North Carolina.
- Video Central
- About WWAY