RALEIGH, N.C. -- Gov. Beverly Perdue's administration is ready to implement new ways to cut out fraud and waste in North Carolina's $10 billion Medicaid program.
Perdue and Health and Human Services Secretary Lanier Cansler will unveil the new efforts on Wednesday at Rex Hospital in Raleigh.
Perdue said recently the effort would help regulators identify unnecessary health services and providers overprescribing certain drugs. She said the new system should help detect patients who may be gaming the system and could be prosecuted.
Cansler announced last week the start of a preferred drug list to help reduce prescription expenses for the state's nearly two million Medicaid patients. Medicaid is the federal-state government insurance program for low-income families and senior citizens, along with the disabled.
(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)