WILMINGTON, N.C. -- Just months after a higher tax credit went into effect for film and television production companies that spend money in North Carolina, the push is on to eliminate limits on those incentives.
The StarNews of Wilmington reported Thursday that Gov. Beverly Perdue said Hollywood film executives say the caps mean North Carolina isn't competitive with other states. Perdue said she learned that when she and others met with studio executives earlier this month in Los Angeles.
North Carolina incentives include a $1 million cap per person on the amount a production can get back from wages and a per-project cap of $7.5 million. That's the maximum a company can receive in credits, regardless of how much is spent.
North Carolina's 25 percent film tax credit went into effect Jan. 1.
(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)