WILMINGTON -- There is new information on an early morning fire that destroyed a Wilmington office complex. Fire officials say the blaze may have been intentional. Investigators say they have clues as to what started the fire, but because the investigation is ongoing, they can't comment on that right now. What investigators are saying is that they've eliminated all accidental sources of ignition. Wilmington fire crews arrived at the burning Harbour Square Office Park around 4:00 Wednesday morning. Fire officials say it took until dawn to get the flames under control. Wilmington Fire Department Capt. Chris Elrod said, "During the course of the investigation we had determined that the fire had been deliberately set." Investigators say the fire was set at the CEPCO office. Members of the SBI, ATF, Wilmington Police and Fire Departments are all working the case. So far, not much has turned up. Capt. Elrod said, "Right now we do not have any positive leads on this." Fire officials say there could be nearly half a million dollars in damages. That's because the fire not only ruined the CEPCO office, but others nearby. David Hill's office was destroyed by the fire. He said, "I drive up at about a quarter of eight and I see a ladder truck out in front of the parking lot there. And I think, that's probably not a good thing." Hill says the water and smoke damage to his office is extensive. Thanks to his computer system, Hill says most of his important client information is OK. "Right now we're just trying to salvage all of our files," Hill said. Hill hopes to have his business up and running next week. But in the mean time, what he thought was going to be a normal day of work, turned out to be something much different. "It's like stepping in to a nightmare," Hill said. No one was hurt in the fire. The investigation is ongoing. We tried to talk to some people from CEPCO, but they wouldn't comment.
- Video Central
- About WWAY