Residents are still trying to pick up the pieces from last week's fire at another Wilmington apartment complex. It happened late Thursday night at Canturbury Woods. Jessica smith lives with her husband, son and dog across the breezeway from where the fire started. Smith said, "It was spreading really quickly. We just figured we were going to lose whatever we didn't get out of there." She says they grabbed what they could and hoped for the best. "We kept telling each other, as long as the three of us got out safely, then everything else can be replaced." The Wilmington Fire Department believes a short in an air conditioning unit sparked the blaze. Eight units were damaged in all. Friday residents of the complex received a letter from management telling them the fire was not intentionally set. Neighbor Melinda Sauls said, "The smoke was real thick. We had to go back inside the house because the smoke was so thick, you couldn't even see nothing." Volunteers from the Red Cross were on site to help. Victoria Kling is the Director of Emergency Services for the Red Cross's Cape Fear chapter. She says volunteers help people get food, shelter and clothing. "These volunteers can make such a huge, huge difference to someone who has just lost a great deal," Kling said. Kling says the gratitude from those they help is immense. "Sometimes it's a hug, sometimes it's just a heartfelt handshake, just an expression. But it's very worth while, very worth while."
- Video Central
- About WWAY