make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Pender County family displaced by fire

READ MORE:
fire200.jpg
A Pender County family is picking up the pieces, after a fire destroyed their mobile home. Fire investigators say an over-loaded switch panel sparked the blaze around 6:30 Wednesday evening. Seven people lived inside the Burgaw home, including four children, but were not there when the fire started. Investigators say the mobile home is total loss. "My mother and stepfather have been here for fourteen years, and my mother is the glue of this family," said resident Tammy Piner. "And to see her like she was last night, you know if something happens to the glue, what's going to happen to the family." The Red Cross is offering assistance. Right now, Piner and her family are staying with relatives while they figure out how to rebuild.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»

donation

I challenge all high paid bosses to take the Christmas money their low paid workers have "donated" for the bosses Christmas present, and donate to a family like this in need.

trailer fire

Do they have home owners insurance?

Of Course not

Why would anyone have insurance these days? If something happens big (hurricane/tornado) the state or feds will take care of them. If it is an isolated incident than the community will help them. Only thing that makes people have insurance these days is if they have a mortgage and the bank requires it.

Do you know these people?

Do you know these people? Most likely not.

It seems like there should

It seems like there should be more information regarding overloaded circuits. This is always a problem especially in the Winter when many use electric heaters. No more than one heater should be on any one circuit. The average heater pulls about 1300-1500 watts on high. This is about the limit for a 120 volt circuit. You could probably use a tv or a couple lights on the same one, but NEVER more than one heater. If more than one heater is used, make sure they are on different circuits. One other thing, make sure the plug on the heater is CLEAN and FITS THE WALL RECEPTICLE TIGHTLY. If the plug ever starts to feel HOT, discontinue use of the heater until the problem is found. It is normal for the plug of an appliance that pulls down this many watts to get a little warm, but immediately after unplugging, if the prongs are HOT enough that you cannot keep your finger on it, there is a problem and danger of fire.