WILMINGTON -- After their school was locked-down three times in the past six weeks some New Hanover High School students say they're starting to worry about safety on campus. The school was locked down Wednesday morning after a New Hanover High School student shot a man, just a couple blocks away. Some of his peers Thursday expressed their concern. New Hanover High School sophomore Sarah Bilski said, "I don't really feel safe at all but there's nothing i can do about it." New Hanover High School Principal Chris Furr says the shooter showed up at school yesterday. But students say if he had been there, he could have easily brought in the gun he used to shoot a man in the hip in nearby neighborhood. Principal Furr says the school has considered installing metal detectors, but that it's not a practical solution to the problem. "There are so many different entry points to this campus and to our buildings," Furr said. Furr says he thinks the way to handle the problem is by teaching students the right values. Furr said it was his decision to lock the school down for more than an hour yesterday. He says he didn't want students wandering outside classrooms, and since police described the shooter as student-aged, he didn't want that person to come into the building.
- Video Central
- About WWAY