make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Southport home catches fire and raises questions

READ MORE: Southport home catches fire and raises questions
southportfire300.jpg
Fire investigators spent most of Sunday trying to figure out what caused a vacant Southport home to go up in flames. The home was in a remote area, but clues left at the scene say it may have been a popular hang out. Piles of charred wood are all that is left from Saturday night's fire. Firefighters were called to the scene around 6:00 p.m. to what used to be a vacant cabin home. "We got the call and got there as soon as we did, the wind was blowing hard. We had to get all the trucks in here and by the time we got to it, it was fully involved and everything," described Greg Cumbee, Southport Fire Chief. A total of sixteen fire departments tackled the blaze. It presented firefighters with a challenge. The cabin sat deep in a wooded area off a dirt road, a mile and a half away from the nearest water source at Southport Elementary School. To ensure the fire would not spread, firefighters shuttled gallons of water to the scene to put the fire out after three hours of burning. "We had a concern with all the land that is between here and back toward the elementary school. There is a lot of wooded area so we didn't want that to happen so keep in mind without having a lot of water right here on the scene we had to bring in these brush trucks and they only hold 300 gallons of water at the most," Cumbee said. Now investigators from Brunswick County Emergency Management, the sheriff's office, along with Southport Police and the fire department are trying to determine how the fire started. Fire investigators said the cabin has been vacant for sometime, but the property it sits on is owned by a private developer. They said recently it's become a known hang out spot for area teens. The trash spread around the scene suggests someone had been spending time here. Brunswick County Fire Marshal, Scott Garner said, "There is no power to the structure, it is kind of far out into the woods; we know the weather was clear last night so we do have to look at other sources." The next step in the investigation is collecting more evidence and looking for anyone with information to come forward. If you have any information about this fire, contact the fire marshal's office at 910-253-5383.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»

Years & years.

As to the teenagers in Southport it is known as the local party spot. For years and years teenagers have been going back there to party. It's the only place where kids all meet up and hang out together at once. I’ve been back there several times and there are memories that will never leave the wooded area. With the "cabin" burning down it has been such a disappointment and heartbreaking moment, but not surprising for the type of people that usually go back there. It was a careless accident and I'm sure it wasn't done on purpose. As for us teenagers we have accepted that fact that the “partying at the cabin” has ended in our generation, and which we will continue to cherish those moments spent.

This cabin

This Cabin had been a party spot for a long time ive been there b4 like a year ago lol but i wasnt there at that time but hey its not surprising

That place has been a

That place has been a hangout for several years. It is not a mystery to the local PD that underage drinking as well as other things happen out there in the woods. I hate it for the owner, but maybe this will wake up those who have the ability to put a stop to the partying.