WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- The ban on sweepstakes machines takes effect Wednesday. Earlier this year, the legislature approved the ban.
One sweepstakes joint told us they'll close down tomorrow, But they plan to reopen with new games they claim to be legal. The manager of the 777 Sweepstakes says he's disappointed with the governor's decision to shut them down.
"You want to keep people employed, keep business thriving not shut them down and kill them, especially before the holidays. Have a heart," Leo Daniels said. "If people are losing their jobs and committing suicide I don't know how she can sleep at night."
New Hanover County District Attorney Ben David says he's waiting for state instructions on how to enforce the law. David also pointed out the ban is tied up in court because parlor owners filed a lawsuit.