FIRST ON 3: MLK back open after man rescued from marsh below

Tags: , ,

Submitted: Thu, 06/30/2011 - 7:07pm
Updated: Fri, 07/01/2011 - 1:44am

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Firefighters rescued a man who jumped from MLK Parkway into the marsh below. MLK was shutdown heading out of downtown for more than an hour as they worked.

A New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office spokesman says a deputy stopped to check on a possible broken down vehicle on the side of MLK near the McRae Street exit around 9 a.m. When the deputy pulled over, there was no one in the vehicle. When she walked around, she looked down and saw a man in the marsh.

A Wilmington Fire Department spokesman says the man tried to commit suicide by jumping, but failed. Investigators are still trying to figure out how he fell or if he jumped.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

You know what’s truly funny?

The anger, insults, name-calling, and general ill-will emanating from all you “compassionate people” at two guys who simply choose to disagree with your mamby-pamby, “oooh the poor baby” coddling view.

“Be compassionate or karma’s gonna getcha!”

*You’re not compassionate – you should be in a nuthouse!”

“You’re a Nazi!”

“You’re a clown!”

“You’re stupid!”

Look, I freely admit that I’m discompassionate and cold but you guys need to admit that you are like Barney on a ‘roid rage. “Love your fellow man, or we’ll beat you bloody.”

I hope I didn’t make any of you kind, gentle souls cry by pointing out that dichotomy….

• guest111 says:

Again, more proof of how off balance you are. You are a waste of time and should stop commenting. You make yourself look worse with every word you type. Do yourself a favor and stay out of serious matters.

Our society is sick sick sick

• GuestLee says:

I totally agree with you, Guest 111. The more people respond to him, the ruder and more insensitive he becomes. It’s a control issue. Some people just like to keep stirring the pot because they like being the center of attention.

It was actually this “they’re” used in her/his context,
    so if you want to correct someone make sure you know the correct meaning first.

I am just in shock at what you heartless people have to say. I hope Karma comes around and bites each and every one of you cold hearted people in the butt. It is sad that there are more negative comments than positive ones.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

I’m thinking about getting a short Mohawk, but I can’t decide if an eyepatch might be better. I think going with both might be a bit over the top.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

It appears that I have committed two great sins on this story.

The first is that I refuse to join the Association of Barney-Like Saps and excuse people for their idiotic, inconsiderate behavior….and that obviously makes all the current members spittingly angry.

Oh well…..

The second is that I am a cold, hard man who is slightly less emotional than Mister Spock, and that raises the karma question. Since I’m guilty of being cold, detached, discompassionate and not wringing my hands about the mud-jumper, wouldn’t karma coming around mean that everyone would be totally detached, discompassionate, and cold toward me?

This sounds like a win-win situation! I get to impart some opposing, REALISTIC views about individual responsibility to you really sensitive people, and then karma makes sure that people leave me totally alone and don’t make demands on my life and time.

Woo-hoo! Bring on the karma!

BTW, just LOVED the “at a time like this” lead-in. That’s not too overly dramatic and over the top, is it? Some loon jumps into the swamp…gee…..that’s right up there with September Eleventh or the Kennedy Assassination, huh?

“At a time like this”…..should I say that in a very deep, solemn voice?

• GuestLee says:

You forgot several more…you think you know more than anyone else, you think you’re better than anyone else, and you love getting a rise out of people.

For someone who wants people to “leave me totally alone and don’t make demands on my life and time”, you sure do a lot of posting on this website to get people to respond to your comments. Even if they respond negatively, you get the attention you so highly crave. Any attention is better than none…right?

I think that with each post you make, people are seeing more and more what a “cold, hard man” you are “who is slightly less emotional than Mister Spock”. Boy, did you hit that nail right on the head!

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

I (and WWAY) decide when I post and what articles I respond to.

I can always count on some rube to come back with more insults simply because he or she thinks that I need to think differently.

So thanks for all that attention. While you’re feeding my supposed craving, please don’t forget the REAL reason I post, which is to try and get some logic and common sense back into a society that is seemingly dominated by emotions, political correctness, and a willingness to accept any behavior at all, without holding people accountable.

I may be “too hard” for contemporary standards, but this country functioned far better before we became predominantly over-indulgent wimps. As soon as this guy was pulled from his mud-bath he should have been hosed off and handed a bill for what his little escapade cost. If he can’t go out in public without causing this type of mess, his family needs to keep him under wraps or force feed him the medication he needs. Society need not tolerate and pay for this kind of behavior.

If I convince only one or two people with every post I write reagrding individual responsibility and self-reliance, I’m slowly achieving my goal.

Meanwhile, the hissy-fits of the opposition really do entertain me….

• suzanne says:

I knew someone who committed suicide it not funny,or something to joke about.To the people that think there being funny leaving all the heartless comments keep them to your self.I prey for this guy and his family that he will recover fully and get the help he needs.Thanks to the ones who have been sympathetic to this man and his needs right now.It still burns me up that people can be so stupid and heartless.I hope for the ones being heartless that karma don’t pay them a visit.I would hate for anyone to have to deal with one of there loved ones suicide there is never no closure.

Depression and suicide are as real to some people as the chair you are sitting in. It’s not something they ask for, look forward to or embrace. It’s a medical/mental condition that some people are born with. It’s horrible, it’s hell on earth and they have no control over where they are when episodes erupt or when it happens that they decide they can’t take anymore. My God Our society is just sick sick sick. I’m so thankful I’m not related to some of you and might have to depend on you for help in the event I became ill and couldn’t care for myself. Thank God we do have police, firemen and ambulance personnel who can jump in when needed at times like this. For sure none of you would. Your comments are just sickening.

• Guestoopsie says:

I “prey” you learn how to spell PRAY and learn the difference in “there” and their.

to anything COMMONSENSENOTCOMMONTODAY has to say. Maybe if we all just ignore him he will stop commenting. Don’t even read his remarks.. it’s a waste of your time.

• guest111 says:

. . . in so many areas I can’t begin to describe it all. You are one scary dude, dude.

…for THAT response.

(Face it – you’re an addict…)

• GuestLee says:

It’s really none of your business, but because I know I’m speaking with someone who is severely damaged, I will make an exception in your case.

Although my parents took responsibility for my brother, there were many episodes where they couldn’t watch him every minute. He did cause a few cases of “mayhem”, as do most schizophrenics (as did this jumper). As a young girl, I remember the Police being called on a few occasions. I remember crying my eyes out when my brother was put into the back of a police car and hauled away.

I can tell you that being “institutionalized” has followed my brother around like a dark cloud for all his life. He saw sights that no one should ever have to see (we’re talking about 50 years ago). Although he was schizo, he had many, many lucid times also where he seemed as normal as I do (notice I didn’t say you). My brother was “put away” for about a year when he was 14, and for another year when he was 28. You make it sound like he spent most of his life in an institution, which he did not.

You may “personally know a free-range schizophrenic” and a bi-polar, but until you have lived with it and grown up with it, you know NOTHING about it.

The fact that you would ask me these kinds of questions proves to me that you are rude, insensitive and one brick shy of a full load yourself. You have the sensitivity of a wild boar.

Your original post did not start off with you questioning whether someone should be hospitalized or not; it started with you making crude comments about the poor guy being left to die. Now you’re trying to turn your comments around to prove he needs to be institutionalized. I doubt you will find many people who disagree with you on that. I’ve caught fish who have flip-flopped less than you. Worse yet, you’re someone who defends himself at every turn, and isn’t man enough to admit when he’s wrong….just likes to keep stirring the pot. You’re done stirring it with me on this issue.

• GuestLee says:

Why do you always put *I* like this? Obviously, to make yourself stand out, to make yourself feel important, and to grandstand. You really should talk with a therapist about your issues.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

….avoiding most, and the many, many insults.

I have to point out, however, that they don’t impact me in the least, and make your post resemble a temper tantrum rather than an educated, logically assembled reply. Then again, it appears that logic isn’t welcome when it comes to this subject.

So sorry I dared to ask you some qusetions about information YOU volunteered….

• Pink-fish says:

you have mine.

• GuestLee says:

No, what you asked me went above and beyond what I volunteered, which was really none of your business.

I could have ignored your asinine questions, but I tried to be open and honest about answering them. I doubt many people would have been as forthcoming as I was to lay their personal lives out for dissection. Sorry to disappoint, but hey, no matter what I said, it wouldn’t satisfy you and you would twist anything I say.

Oh, and I think my comments DO impact you, or you wouldn’t keep responding to them.

• GuestLee says:

Yeah, are you the only one who thinks your NOT an a**hole? Judging by the responses I’ve read here, I would answer a resounding “YES”.

You are a sad excuse for a human being.

• ChallengetheWorld says:

Lets be realistic, am I compassionate to the fact the guy may need some help, yes, sure, we all should have the right to seek medical treatment. However, if he needed help there are hundreds of ways to seek it or cry for help. This wasted countless resources, including police, who could have been spending their time SEARCHING FOR CRIMINALS instead of playing negotiator to someone with a mental problem.

I also feel he should be financially responsible for causing such a disturbance. Regardless of his mental state. Who knows, maybe he’s fine and was just practicing the MLK High Dive. Either way, he needs to pay.

• GuestLee says:

Sorry, jeffnow. I was responding to another post and hit the wrong button. Just wanted to let you know I totally agree with you!

• GuestLee says:

You want realism? OK. Here it is.

I have a brother who is a paranoid schizophrenic. He was put in a mental hospital at 14, and again at 28. He’s never been able to hold down a full time job and attempted suicide twice. He’s now in his 70’s, still alive, but has never had a “normal” life.

Now add in the mix a young girl (me) who had to grow up in this environment; a young girl who had to visit mental hospitals and hear the clang of metal on metal locking behind her just to have the priviledge of seeing her own brother.

You’re talking about resources and financial responsibility? My parents used all the resources available at the time and paid for everything out of their own pockets. It eventually broke them, both physically and spiritually.

As far as wasting the resources of the police, who you say could be out SEARCHING FOR CRIMINALS, the police are also there to serve and protect, and that included my brother.

Until you have been through the heartache of seeing one of your own in this kind of predicament, you really don’t have the slightest clue what you are talking about.

I have agreed with you on a lot of your posts, but this isn’t one of them. I think you’re way out of bounds on this one.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

I guess the pot wasn’t done being stirred? Aren’t you the same GuestLee who agreed with Guest111 regarding not responding to me?

Tsk, tsk, tsk…..NO discipline, GuestLee. You can well imagine how I view that…

Let me show you how this works:

“Having just learned today that this looney-toon tried to hang himself with a rope attached to his vehicle, but was such a loser that he couldn’t even tie a noose and fell into the swamp like a broken yo-yo, I refuse to further draw attention to his obvious attempt at grandstanding. Accordingly *I* am done commenting on this issue.”

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

Tsk, tsk, tsk…..NO discipline, GuestLee. You can well imagine how I view that…

Let me show you how this works:

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

I found that it got in the way when you opened up with the M-60 or XM-218. What little I have, I reserve for those who TRULY deserve it.

That DOESN’T include nutjobs who make incompetent, unsuccessful attempts at commiting suicide, costing the taxpayers thousands in emergency responders and God-only-knows-how-much in lost productivity for the innocents hopelessly mired in the resulting traffic jam.

If you want to end it, find a quiet place off by yourself and just do it. We have relatively high bridges all over the place and this loser picks a forty-foot dive into a mudbath? He obviously had no intention of killing himself. You part-time psychologists/full-time sob-sisters would say it was a “cry for help.”

I, on the other hand, would say that it was an invitation to a richly deserved butt-whippin’ from all those people stuck in traffic.

If your life stinks, don’t try to drag other people into it!

But heck, I’ll wait for the facts. Who knows – his car might have broken down, he sat on the wall waiting for help, and turned out to be a really clumsy guy!

• jeffnow says:

Spoken like a true Nazi.

• GuestLee says:

Yeah, now I understand. You’re ex-military. That explains it.

Who are you to say this guy didn’t “TRULY deserve it” (compassion)? Have you walked in his shoes? You don’t even know his circumstances and you’re already judging him and crucifying him at the stake?

Sounds to me like you’re trying to play God with people’s lives by deciding who is worthy to be saved or not, and you’re more worried about the almighty dollar than getting someone the help they need. You sound like more of a “nut” than the guy who jumped. I swear, I sometimes think the wrong people are on the outside of the metal doors.

• RolloTomasi says:

Your comments make you sound like a clown….haha…write more…

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

From your post it appears that your parents took responsibility for your brother. They didn’t simply let him wander around causing mayhem.

What is so wrong about expecting the swamp-jumper’s family to do the same after this episode?

Are you saying that your parents made a mistake in having your brother put away? Should he have been allowed to roam freely? Do you sincerely believe that he would have had anything near a “normal life” had he not been institutionalized?

I can absolutely assure you, he would not. I personally know a free-range schizophrenic who trips offline and requires a medication tune-up at Duke every year or so. His life is a history of annual job losses, suicide attempts, disappearances, etc. His mother refuses to have him institutionalized; his sister once questioned the value of having him with the family at Christmas when he spoke to no one for three days. All he did was sit in his room and cry or sleep.

I also know a manic-depressive (P.C., bi-polar) who bounces through life like a pin-ball and has been a total nightmare for her entire family and anyone who knows her. She has five kids, three of whom have been thankfully taken away from her by concerned relatives.

Yes, they are mentally ill, but we must understand that the nature of any specific illness may require restrictions on individual freedom: Active patients of drug-resistant TB are forceably hospitalized, for example.

This forty year experiment in narrowly defining who requires institutional care has meant a windfall for the psychiatric and pharmaceutical industries, but has totally failed society AND the mentally ill themselves. There are far too many sick people wandering the streets. If mentally ill people cannot live in an orderly fashion in society without creating episodes such as the one under discussion, then they need to be removed from society and institutionalized.

I’m sure it wasn’t easy for your parents, but they likely felt that way as well. Do you believe they made a mistake regarding your brother?

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

Since we’re talking about *MY* compassion, *I* will decide who deserves it.

Questions?

• RolloTomasi says:

I’m ex-military and I have nothing but compassion for the poor guy who jumped! I just loathe some of these people commenting. I mean, they log on and leave a comment saying basically this, “Hi, I’m a mean-spirited boob and wanted everyone to know this about me. I’m not brave. I’m not thoughtful, nor honorable, I’m just a heartless half-wit with too much time on my hands.”

• GuestLee says:

Because you didn’t have anything important to say anyway.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

I would have left a warning decal on the car and gone on my way. No time for nuts.

• Das Weibstück says:

Guess he missed the two big bridges further back down the road. I dont think you can drown in mud.

• GuestLee says:

Your compassion just blows me away. Some people are so used to speaking only negative things that they forget how to feel compassion for someone with a huge medical problem (yes, mental illness is a medical problem). You’re pretty judgemental for someone who doesn’t have all the facts.

• Challengetheworld says:

We need a new law, that will charge moronic people like this for every single tax payer dollar that they knowingly cause to be wasted. Not only that, but I say the guy could be charged with the loss of bussiness and delay that is caused by the bridge being blocked. If he has no way to compensate the state, he must provide mandatory community service.

• Shocked says:

Seriously? The man jumped off a bridge? Wow. It’s sad how heartless so many people are around here.

• NCemergencyservant says:

You have got to be kidding me. People who try to take their own life are mentally ill and deserve any and all treatment they can get. The firefighters risked their lives to save this man by doing what they are trained to do by these same tax dollars you speak of. Many people complain that firefighters are over paid because you think they only work while responding to a call. The truth is firefighters work manual labor from 7 am to 5 pm at the station by checking all tools and trucks. Then they have to work out, clean the station, train for any emergency, and provide public education. So dont give me this waste of tax dollars BS. If your loved one was depressed, jumped and lived you would be screaming for someone to help. Just remember one day you may be so upset you feel like killing yourself and odds are a firefighter will be there to try and save you. PS Your tax dollars go to stuffing pockets of politicians instead of going to Emergency services, schools and teachers where they are needed!

• That guy says:

What an IDIOT! If people are going to try to kill themselves let them do it. He obviously has nothing going for him get cant even successfully kill himself. Next time try jumping off one that has a solid surface.

• jeffnow says:

you are a Dork with a capital D

• Karen B says:

This person may be needing real help. Best not to judge harshly and begin with some empathy.

May be needing real help? May? He jumped off a bridge! You don’t slap on a band-aid and send him home.

• Lisa says:

It’s no wonder that the man felt the need to end his life. Listen to you all. That is what is wrong with our society now. Everyone out for themselves and the hell with everyone else. I hope if you are ever feeling as low as this poor man that you are able to find compassion from someone UNLIKE yourselves. We do not always think clearly and everyone makes an irrational decision at some point in our lives.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

Lady, if ANYONE displayed that attitude it was the guy who held up hundreds of people working and trying to get to work simply because he was having a bad day.

some people need to stop with the rude and uncalled for comments.

• Guestsosad says:

It pains me to see the complete lack of compassion coming from the readers and members of society for this obviously hurting individual. Our brother. It explains to me why there is so much misery in this world. We are collectively a horrible, miserable group of people. So sad. I, for ONE wish this man the best and hope for some happiness in his life.

• annoyed says:

Everybody has a story in their life. Do not judge until you know the issues. We treat proven criminals better than the people that need mental help. I am neither and I thank God for blessing me and my family.