Local developer Nick Garrett has died

Tags: ,

Submitted: Tue, 04/24/2012 - 4:57pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Charles Nichols Garrett Jr., better known as Nick, died Saturday at the age of 53 of a heart attack.

The Wilmington Businessman leaves behind four children: one daughter and three boys. The youngest is Nathan, who we introduced you to back in November for being a champion duck-caller. When we spoke with Nick about his son, he had nothing but praise for all of his children.

Those close to the Garrett family remember him as a loving man.

Garrett was a prominent developer, who built and designed homes and offices.

In 2009, Garrett personally filed for bankruptcy. He said the bankruptcy was a result of a long-term lawsuit settlement with his ex-wife Lee Brewer.

His personal life was also in the spotlight back in 2009 when he took the stand before a federal grand jury and the state Board of Elections during investigations into former Gov. Mike Easley. Garrett admitted donating money to the North Carolina Democratic Party with the intention of benefiting Gov. Easley after he had already donated the maximum amount allowed directly to Easley.

Garrett was well-known in our area, and many viewer comments suggest that he and his craftmanship will be missed.

Andrews Mortuary is handling funeral arrangements.

45 Comments on "Local developer Nick Garrett has died"

Tell is like it is
2015 years 8 months ago

The truth is the truth, whether a person is living or has died.

Gene Ikner
2015 years 8 months ago

Nick Garrett was an amazing guy. I have known nick for almost 25 years and have also worked for him. My heart goes out to all his family and friends. Wilmington and the area has lost a great piller of the community. He will never be forgotten, but surely missed!

north mattamuskeet
2015 years 8 months ago

Nick was a great guy and a pleasure to have known for a number of years.It was easy to tell that the number one thing in his life was his children and spending time with them.He had a sense of humor and I really enjoyed being around him.RIP

Friend of Nick Garrett
2015 years 8 months ago

Nick Garrett was a true gentleman and one of the kindest men I’ve known-he always had a smile no matter how difficult times may have been. We have all made mistakes in our lives, but one’s time of passing is not the time to hide behind a computer and sully the great memories that many people have of this gentle soul. Rest in Peace Nick Garrett-you will always be remembered for your many contributions to your community and for the love you shared with your many friends and family.

Buck Williams
2015 years 8 months ago

Nick was not only a great visionary, homebuilder and businessman but a great man and mentor. He not only had time for me when I was an employee but also after I left his amazing company to go out on my own. He taught me so much about fine homebuilding, good business practices and most of all how to treat clients. I will forever be grateful to Nick and the entire Garrett Family. I feel a huge loss tonight and will for many nights to come. RIP Nick and know you are loved and appreciated.