ONLY ON 3: Parents say son sent home from overseas school trip left alone by chaperones

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Thu, 05/10/2012 - 8:55pm
Updated: Fri, 05/11/2012 - 1:03pm

BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — The family of a Brunswick County high school senior says he was left to fend for himself after he got in trouble on a trip to Spain. Now the family is searching for answers, and they say they want the chaperones held accountable.

“If I would have known what I know now, I would have never sent my son,” Cindy Kent said.

Kent says her 17-year-old son Robert was sent home early from Spain after he bought alcohol on the school trip. She says she knows he was wrong, but she says the chaperones handled the situation inappropriately.

“We got a phone call from the assistant principal, Mr. McDuffie of South Brunswick High School, and Ms. Garza stating that he would be taken to the airport and he was going to be on his own at the point,” Cindy said.

After that phone call, the Kents arranged for an airline escort to meet their son. Robert had never been out of the country, and the trip to Spain was his first time on a plane.

“I couldn’t believe that this was supposed to be a responsible adult was telling me that he is just relinquishing all responsibility at the airport in Madrid, Spain, in a foreign country,” Robert’s dad Lee Kent said.

Now, the family says they want answers from the school system.

In a statement, Brunswick County Schools said, “The student remained chaperoned and under supervision of responsible adults during the entire return trip.”

The Kents say their son was only cared for because they took extra precautions from across the ocean.

“I just think it’s outrageous, just so over the top, so irresponsible of the people that we put our faith into,” he said. “It’s just unbelievable.”

Originally Robert was going to be suspended from school. Instead, administrators decided he’d been punished enough.

At this point, none of the chaperones have been disciplined by the school.

• Cindy Kent says:

Expelling a kid for purchasing alcohol for an entire year… glad you do not have any influence over decisions for teenagers! That’s great decision making! Intelligent. Robert makes a bad decision and I need to stay off my back… you got to be joking! You must not have any children or if you do, then you too must be a horible parent because kids are going to make bad decisions .. period!

• Cindy Kent says:

Detect a little jeolousy…. some of us don’t have to work because of early life decisions we responsibly made… too bad for you… keep working!

• Cindy Kent says:

It is a fact that the teachers and students purchased and brought alcohol back from Paris last year! In a meeting with the school, it was openly admitted by Assistant Principal, Mr. McDuffy, that alcohol was purchased and brought back…so much as some wine got busted in suitcases! Brunswick County School has done their investigation and have taken action in that regards. Interesting how it was okay last year by the same teachers but not okay this year….. but that still doesn’t negate that Robert was wrong. They just handled it all wrong.

• Cindy Kent says:

Teachers allowing and assisting students to bring alcohol back to the states last year is a crime! Yes, Lee does know better. You just don’t have all the facts and are ignorant for making a judgment without them!

• Beach Bum says:

Another example of bad parenting. This knucklehead thought it would be cool to buy alcohol in a foreign country while on a school trip. We already can see where this is going.

Expell the kid and make him repeat the entire school year over, make the parents reimburse the school system the cost of the trip including airfare and perhaps, just maybe, parents will get the message.

IF YOU DO NOT WANT THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF CHILDREN, STAY OFF YOUR BACK!

Terrible just terrible parenting…

• Cindy Kent says:

Yes if something would of happened to our son, there would be a whole diffent situation! IT IS NOT OUR FAULT HE MADE A BAD DECISION — ARE YOU STUPID OR JUST STUPID! And sendng your 10 year old ALONE on a airplane says it all!

• QuietOne says:

according to this young man’s FB page, the trip taken by the students the year before was filled with purchases of alcohol. In fact, a young lady claims a teacher (whom she names in the post) carried her alcohol back to the US for her. Nice kids… throw your teacher under the bus like that on a public forum. You do know that when she handed you the alcohol back once you landed in the US, she committed a crime, right. She could lose her job for that. Wonder how long it will take for that post to disappear…

• PublicAvenger says:

Dr Phil would agree with me that this situation was handled wrong. It may not be his fault, that he chose not to obey the rules. Maybe he was expressing his inner self.

Instead of striking at him, and hurting him, they should have been more positive. They should have “reminded” him of the rules. And maybe threaten to inform his parents. They overreacted by using the outdated means of ‘Direct Punishment’.

I hope they fire every school employee involved in this incident. I hope the District Attorney, and the Spanish officals arrest and lock up, the horrible adults, who would leave this poor boy, alone, on a plane to “fend himself”.

I hope he will get therapy, and realize how proud we are that he bravely flew alone. All by himself. I’m sick of these stupid Christians, trying to hold people accountable. Dr Phil is a much more groovy guy then Billy Graham. I hope his New Age parents sue the school for millions of dollars.

Maybe we can make a TV documentory, or even a movie, about this terrible incident.

• Attachment Guest says:

I think I saw you in the cover of Time this week w your child still breastfeeding at age 3, even up until age 5 in some cases. Attachment parenting, but I don’t think this is what Dr Sears invisioned. Time to buy baby boy a sippy cup and stop nursing already.

I feel sorry for the kid as this shows mom’s maturity level.

From the story: “The Kents say they are planning on talking to the district attorney about filing charges.”

Two questions for you to consider. First, what crime did the school commit? Second, what jurisdiction does a Brunswick County DA have in Spain?

Lee, you as either a current or former LEO should know better.

Please take the story off the site. I do understand the parents are being too protective. The comments make good points but I’m sure they are embarrasing for the student. Mom and dad are not the ones walking the school halls wondering what his friend think of him. This is a classic case of the student paying for the parents mistake.

• PublicAvenger says:

Thousands of our brave combat soldiers, in Afghanistan, are teenagers, not much older then him. Maybe we can get one of them to escort, poor, little, unchaperoned, baby home, beacuse he can’t obey the rules.

Does daddy really want someone imprisoned for putting his precious boy in harms way ? And leaving him alone, on a airplane ? Or is Daddy just a phony, trying to squeeze out a little money from our schools ? Get Real !

If Daddy wants to see the real problem, he can take a good look in a mirror.

• WE says:

Coming from a retired teacher, let me add: if this kid was old enough to buy alcohol, then he’s old enough to fly alone. Parent, are you kidding me? Seriously!

• QuietOne says:

Poor baby. And I do mean baby. The parents aren’t much better. You were told what the consequences would be if he broke the rules. If you didn’t agree with the rules, why did you put him on the plane in the first place. Perhaps the only traveling this boy should do is in the company of his parents so that they can put the pacifier back in his mouth when he drops it and make sure he is tucked in good and snug every night.

Obviously this kid will never learn since his parents will not hold him accountable. He and his ignorant parents (whom I know personally) need to understand actions have cosequences, especially when breaking the law. Mr. Kent was very privledged to have the chance to travel. He took advantage. I am amazed this guys father is or was in law enforcement. This should not be taken down. Someone needs to learn a lesson, its obviously not going to happen at home

• QuietOne says:

If you have so much money, then why does Junior need to break into cars and take other people’s stuff. Things that the rest of us worked hard for. BTW there was a rash of vehicle break ins in Leland this week. Junior got an alibi?

• STOP CINDY says:

You are validating what they are saying….geez! STOP CINDY!

Since your child is so grown that he had alcohol before the age then he is grown enough to come home on a plane by himself. He is 17 or 18 come on going to college next year…Quit babying him!!!!!!!

Seems like mommy is treating her son like a 5 year-old. A 17 year-old needs an escort to return home on a plane? This kid will never make it in the real world.

• g money says:

Ok comment number one he bought alcohol in Spain.
    Number two there is no legal drinking age in spain.
    That means u can be any age to purchase alcohol so do Ur self a favor along with all the morons commenting on this storyand shut up k Shanks.:)

• Grand Ole Party says:

It’s not YOUR an idiot but rather YOU’RE an idiot. Carry that a@@ back to school and let the adults have a conversation.

• Das Weibstück says:

Spain….”It is illegal to sell alcohol to people under 18, the fine being between €30,000 and €600,000.Stores are not allowed to sell alcohol between 10 p.m. and 9 a.m after a recent law was passed.”

Try again moron. Oh and its “you’re an idiot”, idiot.

• Das Weibstück says:

If my son pulled this crap overseas I would have smacked him silly all the way home from the airport. He would have then written an apology to the school and apologized in person.

This boy is spoiled rotten and he will suffer from it his entire life.

• Justin America says:

spokespersons for home schooling, have been notified the “Brunswick County school system” will soon be renamed the “Kent school system”… once the law suit is complete. We are all learning a lot from the local public school system, aren’t we kids?

• PublicAvenger says:

This horrifies me. To think they would leave a 17 year old boy on a plane, all by himself, all the way from Spain. I’m just glad he’s safe, and I hope we can get him therapy, and the school system will step up better. And pay off for this horrible nightmare, mistake

This makes me sick. 60 years ago, we were sending our precious 17 year olds to Normandy Beach, to kill our countries enemies, and defend us. They became men, real fast. And we are very proud of them.

Today, we have grown men, who demand that they be given everything, and expect to be taken care of. No wonder we are falling apart. So what if he purchased liquor. I’m so glad moma’s attacking the school, and standing up for her poor little baby.

• Gramps1935 says:

I cannot agree with the Kent’s more. “It’s just unbelievable.”

Your son broke the rules, and he was sent home. Either this is just a play to squeeze money from the school system, or you are the two most pathetic parents in NC.

If ths second point is true, then I hope you enjoy standing up for your poor little boy, 10 years from now, when he still hasn’t grown up a a bit, and is still breaking the rules, and you are still blaming everyone, but him.

In a manner of speaking, I feel very sorry for this young man.

• Me Myself and I says:

My mom was the same way with me. Every time I broke a rule, or got arrested, she was blaming the teachers, or the cops, but never me. She even pulled a few lawsuits, and capitolized on the situation.

I am now 40. I have been in prison three times, and have never worked a day in my life. I still live with her. Seeing the Kent’s , it makes me feel good to know we still have parents like my mom.

• pent says:

you do realize that before the kids left for the trip they had to sign a contract saying that if they broke any school rules they would be sent back on their own to the US. One would think that if you have to senior year you would be smart enough… but of course not the case with this boy in question. so what do you mean about the school stepping up the game? if the parents are that responsible they would have trained their son right and he would have respected the laws of Spain.
    Sorry about your sickness… go see a pharmacist
    best of luck!

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

Anyone who thinks that a seventeen year-old is too young to travel by himself has a screw loose.

We have truly become a nation of over-protective, over-reacting Chicken Littles.

Of course, none of this would have arisen had junior not felt compelled to bring booze along on the trip….

• Grand Ole Party says:

Of course he is being sarcastic, did you not read the whole post?

• Stop Crying says:

Take responsibility for his actions parent and stop crying. Always wanting to focus the attention on someone else when our on pot is black.

This made my roll my eyes…I bet these parents are the kind who will be calling into their son’s place of employment ten years from now when he has the sniffles. All that happened to their son is a natural consequence to his actions. Being sent home, being left alone at the airport, is fitting. Were the others suppose to halt the trip just because he decided to break the rules? Were the other students suppose to go without a needed chaperone on the streets of a foreign country because this guy couldn’t handle being safe and sound in an airport? My word, it is not like he was left on a back alley and forced to catch a cab. If I were the parent, I would be happy that the consequence was as uncomfortable as possible. But I am guessing that discipline isn’t too high on these parents’ priority list. Also, he is eighteen! Isn’t it about time he grew-up?

• cat71 says:

The boy is 17 not 7, but I guess the parents haven’t grown up yet so maybe the kid does have the mentality of a 7 year old. Instead of whining the parents need to grow up and worry about why he was buying alcohol and not worrying about how he was sent home.

• Gramps1935 says:

Sorry Cindy. You can’t have it both ways.

And i suppose the fact the child bought alcohol underage doesn’t matter in the slightest bit to his parents. They are correct it is “outrageous and unbelievable” that their Junior would be expected to play by the rules like everyone else. Give me a break. He knew what the rules were before going on the trip and so did the parents. He broke the rules and now he and his parents are learning about a little thing called “CONSEQUENCES.” Consequences are what happens when you break rules. Both the parents and Junior need to accept responsibility for the fact HE CHOSE to break the rules. NOW He needs to ACCEPT the punishment for HIS ACTIONS!

• deputy 25 says:

they should suspend him if he has anytime left at that school this year or the start next year.his parents and this little snobby punk knew the rules, now deal with it!! pop the nipple out of his mouth and make him grow up! we have military teenagers fighting in wars now and you want to complain about your son that was escorted home with an adult and you want to whine after you knew the rules and i guess signed off for him to go? blame him , yourselves and not the school system. by the way, you will be the laughing stock of your community . you should have seen your little whiny selves on TV last night. make him grow up and yourselves why you are at it!!!!!!

• tweety says:

Grand you have to love it seem life is one big circle of circumstances.

• Fleet Ghost says:

I flew by myself under the age of 10 several times. He is almost old enough to drink alcohol, so he’s way old enough to fly, not to mention once he’s on the plane, he’s under the supervision of the flight crew. The problem to me seems the extreme punishment for possession of a small amount of alcohol I’m sure it would have been a better learning moment if he had been admonished and allowed to continue on the trip his parents paid for if he agreed not to break any more rules. Now the parents (and he) are at odds with the school which is not a good ending to the story.

• Hans says:

Well at least the district attorney will get a good laugh. Mommy put your son’s hand down and walk away.

• WilmMan says:

PA…..I seriously hope this is sarcasm coming from you….or you have flat out lost your mind

• GuestTammy says:

In many foreign countries he may have been thrown into their jail for violating their laws. 17 or not, he would have been locked up . Parents..its YOUR FAULT and YOUR RESPONSIBILITY that he violated the common sense rules of no alcohol on the trip. And if he had never been on a plane before you choose to send him on an OVERSEAS trip without YOU to chaperone him for the first time?!! Really? I doubt that. My children have flown since infants and my both my children have flown ALONE since they were 10-11 years old. The difference is they KNOW if they violate rules there are consequences. Do your son a FAVOR and hold HIM REPONSIBLE and stop trying to pass off your bad parenting to someone else. And if you say “he’s old enough to go on an overseas school trip”, then he’s old enough for the consequences. This is absurd. PARENTS: STOP teaching your kids to be helpless and victims. Start teaching them to be RESPONSIBLE AND ACCOUNTABLE. This story is ridiculous

Ahhh so you are one of THOSE parents.

• Gramps1935 says:

Nice try Kent. But I guess the next time you want money, you’ll have to roll up your sleeves, and earn it. Like the rest of us have to do.

• Cindy Kent says:

If you really KNEW us, you wouldn’t be calling us ignorant. We absolutely agree that Robert should be held accountable for his actions! And he was held accountable by us as well as the school. We strongly disagree with the way the school handled the situation! According to the CONTRACT WE SIGNED, Robert should have been esorted to the PLANE… not dropped off at the airport and told “You are on your own”! You are the one that needs to learn a lesson… you definately are a coward Guest123456…

• Cindy says:

Yes we were told…. THEY WOULD BE ESCORTED TO THE AIRPORT AND PUT ON A PLANE… not dropped off at the airport in a Foreign country! So we did pay attention…. apparently they didn’t! What would of happened if the plane was delayed etc. As per the contract, it was their responsibility to see that he got ON THE PLANE, then he was on his own! That would have been agreeable! And what didn’t get aired why was he treated differently than the kids and teachers who purchased alcohol in Paris and why was it OKAY for a teacher this year to purchase alcohol on a school funtion. Always more to the story… I appreciate your support .. one parent to another…. except I don’t hide behind a generic name. I am Robert Kent’s Mother!

I was in the parent meeting the week before the trip. We were told, if your child buys alcohol they will be escorted to the airport and put on a plane. They are then your responsibility. The kid should’ve listened and apparently the parents didn’t pay attention either.

• Cindy Kent says:

Yes, I never disagreed with them sending Robert home… I disagreed with how it was done. The contract read that they could send him back to the US but that they would see him on the plane. When they called my husband and I, they said they were dropping him off at the airport and he was on his own! What would of happened if his plane was delayed or flight cancelled. He does not speak the language and had limited funds on him, not to mention no cell phone to communicate with us. Unfortunately it is not uncommon for teenagers to expermiment with alcohol, and he definately got punished from us as we do not condone drinking; but that does not excuse the way it was handled. And that was another concern about WHERE WERE THE CHAPERONES… where he was able to purchase alcohol. Oh by the way, with the admittance of the assistant pricipal, Mr. McDuffy, teachers and students purchased alcohol and brought it back to the states on their last years trip to Paris – even though they were told not too! A full investigation was done by the Board of Education and found this to be a true fact! As well as a teacher this year purchased alcohol on this school trip and brought it back… of course disiplinary action was taken but not shared with us. There is plenty more to the story but of course limited on the news.

I understand from both sides…but I honestly think people are getting the wrong idea from what the parents concerns are. If this trip was chaperoned and supervised, why was it possible for the child to obtain alcohol. Obviously he was not being watched. I agree that the student should be held accountable to the fullest, but at the same time there needs to be better supervision from the school appointed chaperons. If it were my son, I’d punish him certainly and then properly would want to put my foot up the bottom of the supervisors. This student could have ended up in a worst situation.

• Kay says:

“Great Parents” hold their children accountable for the choices that they make and discipline them appropriately. These parents are choosing to look for someone else to blame for their own son’s choices. As for being in Spain and not speaking the language… get real. People in Spain that work in the airports speak English and you would know that if you traveled to Spain. As for the Kent’s having made the arrangements for their son’s escort that is exactly what they should have done.

I agree with the other poster that questioned the school and the parents having let this kid, with a history of criminal behaviors, attend the trip in the first place. They put their school district employees, other chaperones, and students at risk. People spend a great deal of money sending their kids on these trips for educational experiences and should not have to be subject to dealing with an (at risk) behavior student. For him to go he should have had one of his parents as a one-to-one chaperone.

WOW! I’m personally Appalled by the comments that have been left in reference to the Kent’s. They happen to be very close friends of mine and I know they are great Parents. Before we place judgement on people maybe, we should know the FULL story. Not saying that purchasing alcohol under age is ok which, btw his Parent’s did’t agree with either…. The problem is, he was 17 at the time and should have NEVER been put out at an airport unattended when the Chaperones were buying alcohol themselves. Not exactly reassuring to send our kids on trips when the ones we trust with their safety are purchasing Alcohol as well. So, whatever happened to setting the proper example for our children. The Kent’s are the ones that had a Chaperone, escort their child back to the States. The school had NOTHING to do with that.. As I stated before, Let’s not BASH people before we know the FACTS! If it were one of your children I’m sure the comments that were left would have read much differently.:)

One crazy lady.

• QuietOne says:

Can anyone explain why the school let a kid with FIVE felony charges against him go on an overseas trip? What did they expect? The kid obviously has issues. Oh, and I stopped using the “everybody else is doing it” excuse in middle school. Maybe he’s a slow learner.

• QuietOne says:

Is this the same Robert Kent who seems to like to break into cars in Brunswick County?

• Leeroy white says:

This kid got off easy and his parents are crazy for thinking they should get answers. Maybe if they would of raised their kid right none of this would have happened. Just another case of irresponsible parents blaming someone else. Ive seen this punks name in the paper for bad things before. Since the parents didn’t have control of their child maybe they shouldnt have let him go to a FOREIGN COUNTRY!

• Time for Parents to wake up! says:

Cindy and Lee…..wake up. It is time for Robert and yourselves to grow up. This is not his first run in with the law. He does adult crimes and now you want to act like he can’t fend for himself when he gets caught….Robert is “mature” in some areas, but needs to grow up in others. Pull it together and take care of your kids or you will be visiting him in prison….and I don’t my kids or property to be a victim to his antics!

• Guestsdfghjkl says:

Yes, yes it is.

• Nasha155 says:

Are you serious? Ok here is what we know…

THE FACTS:

1) This was a SCHOOL trip, and school policy’s were to be enforced.
    2) There was a contract which you signed.
    3) Your son is underage and in possession of alcohol on a SCHOOL trip.
    4) He was sent home.
    5) The plane was NOT delayed.
    6) The plane was NOT cancelled.
    7) The child (cant say young man in this case) made it home safe.
    8) Delta and many other airlines allow children as young as 5 to travel alone on a non stop flight.
    9) The parents are looking to get rich, with a bogus lawsuit.
    10) Look at how their story has changed throughout this forum. First it was that their son was left alone. Then some idiot lawyer decided that last years trip which has nothing to do with the Kent’s should be brought into it. Now mom is even bringing it up.
    11) If mom does not blame her son for being a lawbreaker (breaking into cars, drinking etc), then mom also shouldn’t blame the school system for enforcing the rules.
    12) Who cares about what happened last year.
    13) Who cares anyway. The infant…errrr…toddler…errr…i mean child made it home.

Give it a rest mom. Your son is drinking underage and breaking into cars. That should tell you right there that something is wrong.

Oh wait, time to blame the person for owning the car that got broke into.

You can’t be serious. Time for your little man to grow up and stand on his own. HE IS FINE AND AT HOME!!!!! GET OVER IT ALREADY AND STOP EMBARRASSING HIM. WHILE YOUR AT IT TELL HIM TO STOP EMBARRASSING YOU!

Where are the parents in this situations. Their student was buying alcohol and they are concerned about him being sent home. Come on parents step up to the plate and handle your child. I would think that a 17 year old could get on a plane by himself.

• Das Weibstück says:

Stop babying him. If he can be man enough to buy booze he can fly alone.

• Grand Ole Party says:

“I just think it’s outrageous, just so over the top, so irresponsible” that you would blame anyone other than your ignorant son. Always someone else’s fault. If he is a senior in high school and can’t figure out how to get on a plane bound for the U.S. I suggest you don’t let him leave Brunswick county again.

• bjones says:

It looks like another great example of avoiding personal responsibility. The student broke the rules and the parents want to blame the chaperones and look into legal action. I asssume that the student had some reasonable amount of intelligence which is probably a big assumption. But, assuming this is all attributed to immaturity, it is not difficult to find your gate number and board a plane to the US at an international airport. If this was overwhelming to him and disturbing to you please do not let him get a drivers license and you may want to sign him up for remedial education or lifeskills. btw, do you let him out of the house
    or do you chaperone him?

Underage Precious buys alcohol while on a school sponsored trip and is disciplined / you were notified, he was taken to the airport and placed on the plane for return home. At what point did the 17 year old boy become at risk ? If she knew now that her son would buy alcohol and behave badly, she would not have sent her precious, wow such an intelligent statement. TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for precious, he messed up, he’s lucky they did not suspend him.

And charges should be brought against the kid for having alcohol with him. Under age possession, etc. I would have sent the punk home, too. It’s a shame the mommie and daddy are going to make such an issue because their baby was sent home. By the way, I fly all the time and he could have made it home with his eyes closed. If he couldn’t figure it out all he has to do is mention it to ANY PERSON working with the airlines. They would have been more than happy to help him. Poor little guy. . sniff sniff

• my2cents says:

If the parents are so fired up for charges the son should also be charges for any alcohol crimes he involved himself in. But, all this happened in Spain, wouldn’t they have to press charges in Spain? Give it a rest parents, they didn’t throw him out of a moving car. Why should one of the grown ups cut their trip short to take home someone who couldn’t follow the rules. Good for the school not putting up with someone who didn’t take their rules seriously.

• guestwhoispissedoff says:

for one Robert is a complete and total idiot from the moment we landed that’s all he talked about was getting drunk and going to the bars during the free time we were given i think this is honestly a pathetic attempt on his parents part to try and get some money out of this the parents themselves need to open up there eyes and realize there child was at fault and the teachers nor the school system owe them JACK!!!!!! how about you work on Roberts little problem he has of breaking into cars and breaking the law here in Brunswick county then we can talk about him trying to break the law in another country i think he got off way way too easy and should be punished and quit trying to get adults in trouble because he was a moron and couldn’t obey the law for a couple days on a SCHOOL TRIP, WHERE SCHOOL RULES APPLY.

• youknowho says:

I hung with Robert and he did not talk about going to bars and getting drunk! You are pathetic to make up lies! What comes around goes around. Several had alcohol on this trip he just was the only one caught. They just wanted to make an example out of him.

• GotYourBackRobert says:

Honestly, I would love to punch every one of you who has called Robert or Robert’s parents ignorant, stupid, or whatever. This family is very respectful, and for you to insult them like this, when you have no idea how it all went down, makes you look completely stupid yourself. I went to Spain as well with the group, and I even roomed with Robert. He’s one of the friendliest guys I know. You all think he’s a terrible person for buying some freaking alcohol? He was about a month away from being 18 when this occurred, and if I recall correctly, the drinking age in the United States was 18 until 1984. With that being said, my point is, obviously at 18, you are mature enough to drink some alcohol. Sure, the age is now 21, but what I’m saying is, so what if he bought some alcohol? Yeah, it was against school rules, but even good people break rules sometimes? We had free time, and he bought a bottle? BIG DEAL. When the teachers found it on him, it was UNOPENED. So take the dang bottle, throw it out, and just take his free time away? At least he still would’ve gotten to experience Spain for 2 more days, which he payed a huge sum of money for? And whether you all agree or not, sending him home from a country that didn’t even speak our language is screwed the hell UP. As for his old record that some of you brought up, I spoke with Robert about it, and he told me that he didn’t break into any cars, and that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I believed him 100%. Before all of you ignorant idiots comment on a post about a kid who you don’t know, but who you think you know because you can read about him a news article, do some more research first. I know Robert personally, so I can tell you that all the insults and names you are calling him,and his family do not fit their traits one bit. And to the one who said something about throwing the teacher under the bus, you are one idiot. A teacher bought alcohol last year, and so did some students, and you’re trying to say it was wrong by telling the board of education on them? What’s wrong about that? The teachers didn’t follow the rules last year, and it sounds to me like you think they shouldn’t have to because they are of age to buy alcohol. Well, it was a school trip as you keep trying to say, so no matter who it is, is Robert got sent home from a 2500$ trip for buying alcohol, then why didn’t those people who bought alcohol last year get punished? Mr. & Mrs. Kent, I’m telling you now, you are doing the right thing by taking this to court. Your son is a great friend of mine, and all the people who say he is a bad kid for a little mistake like that can get a life. They don’t know him like you two do, and like I do. I wish you guys the best of luck. You at least deserve the trip’s money back, and even the money you had to use to pay for an escort.

• lucky7 says:

Good luck this week in court, Robert. Hope all of Mom and Dad’s money bought you a good attorney!