Dominoes start falling as GOP taps Davis to fill NC House seat

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Submitted: Fri, 09/14/2012 - 9:37pm
Updated: Mon, 09/17/2012 - 12:01pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — New Hanover County Commission Chair Ted Davis is one step closer to stepping in to taking over an empty state House of Representatives seat.

Last night, the New Hanover County GOP Executive Committee appointed Davis, who is running for the seat in November, to fill the position left open when Rep. Danny McComas resigned to join the state Ports Authority, for now.

If Gov. Bev Perdue makes the appointment official, Davis, a Republican, will immediately step down from the New Hanover County Commission. That will leave his seat open and continue a domino effect in county government.

“I feel good about leaving, because I’m not leaving commissioners in a lurch as far as a major issue coming forth that someone new wouldn’t be able to handle,” Davis said.

Once Davis is sworn into the his new office, commissioners have 60 days to find a replacement. The New Hanover County Republican Party will recommend a candidate to the board, but it is ultimately up to the other four commissioners to decide who will take Davis’s place.

“We’ve heard interest from several people,” County Commission Vice Chair Jonathan Barfield said. “One person in particular, Melissa Gott, I think she’s a local attorney in town, I think she would like to be in that role to sit there. Bruce Shell, former County Manager, has been talked about.”

Davis’s appointment to the House seat now makes him the incumbent in November’s election. His Democratic opponent, Emilie Swearingen, says with the legislature adjourned, the temporary position will not help his campaign or hurt hers.

Davis agrees it won’t matter.

“I don’t want to sound conceited, but I don’t think I need this appointment to win in November,” he said. “I honestly don’t.”

County Commissioner Jason Thompson says about eight people have approached him about filling davis’s commission seat.

We reached out to the governor’s office for comment. A spokesman has not returned our call.

• 1981duke says:

So we promote him higher?

• Wade Griffis says:

It is a tradition in local politics to promote them up the ladder and get them out of town before the cops show up. Good on them!

Better Raleigh than Wilmington!

Meanwhile, our clown prince- Jason Thompson may soon move up. I look forward to it. Otherwise, council meetings are a snooze.

• Peyton Garrett says:

So Duke , you don’t think Ted Davis can run the county? Why don’t you step up and see how you would do? You would run it right into the ground with your aptitude for the value of a dollar. I don’t think they let kids play with their I-Pads during meetings either, so I guess that eliminates you to take his place.

after the decisions made at the last meeting…I’m not so sure…

The people of New Hanover County must write letters or emails to the county commissioners telling them they DO NOT want Jason Thompson on the board (neither does the hospital) He was voted in in November and the people have spoken. It would be so very unfair to appoint him to a seat.
    He is a bully and a loud mouth and doesn’t know how to speak to people.

He needs to start hanging out with his buddy Mr. Berger

The people of New Hanover County voted Jason Thompson OUT. They are tried of him and his attitude and voted him out. I just pray that the county commissioners see this and DO NOT put him back on the commission. They have to listen to the peple of the county. Anyone would be better than Thompson.

Please please NOT Thompson !!!!!!

• Donwrong says:

I completely agree, if the public wanted him, they would have voted to keep him. He is nothing more than a bully and treats staff bad when the cameras are on. Get him out for good!!!

• sickofitall says:

this just screams “back office deal” with Ted and company. Danny McComas, the puppet that he is, is told to step aside and take a job at the ports…enter Ted Davis and his dream of importance. Now the rest just smells like Jason Thompson. Time to stop this good old boy games….Jason was voted out. Period. People are sick of his bullying tactics and his not so subtle threats to other politicians and employees (check the HR department for reports). This guy is bad and needs to end his “small pond” ego trip.