NEW HANOVER COUNTY -- Despite recent thundershowers, New Hanover County's Stage 1 Water Conservation Alert remains in effect. Customers should remember always to conserve water as a matter of practice.
This notice affects all New Hanover County Water and Sewer District Water Customers in the area bordered by the following.
- From North Kerr Ave in Wrightsboro, North to I-140
- All areas north of Martin Luther King Blvd. to Castle Hayne
- West Side of Market Street from Martin Luther King Blvd. to I-140 interchange in Porters Neck.
- East Side of Market Street from intersection of Bayshore Drive to New Hanover / Pender County Line.
Water customers in the affected area are restricted to the following irrigation schedule:
- Properties with even-numbered addresses may irrigate between 1 a.m. and 4 a.m., Mondays and Thursdays. Properties with odd-numbered addresses may irrigate between 1 a.m. and 4 a.m., Tuesdays and Fridays. Violators may be penalized up to $1,500 and subject to a misdemeanor per Section 56-45 of New Hanover County code. In addition, violators' services may be temporarily or permanently discontinued per Section 56-46.
- Watering lawns, grass, shrubbery, trees, flower and vegetable gardens by hand-held hose, container, or drip irrigation system may occur at any time. A person who regularly sells plants will be permitted to use water on their commercial stock. State, county and city licensed landscape contractors may water by hand held hose or drip irrigation any plants under a written warranty.
In addition to the irrigation restrictions, residents should always use water wisely by following these conservation practices:
- Inspect and repair all faulty and defective parts of faucets and toilets.
- Use shower for bathing rather than bathtub and limit shower to no more than five minutes.
- Do not leave faucets running while shaving, brushing teeth, rinsing or preparing food.
- Limit the use of clothes washers and dishwashers and when used, operate fully loaded.
- Operate dishwashers during non-peak demand hours of 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Limit vehicle washing.
- Do not wash down outside areas such as sidewalks, driveways, patios, etc.
- Install water saving shower heads and other devices. * Use disposable and biodegradable dishes where possible.
- Install water saving devices in toilets such as early closing flappers.
- Limit hours of water-cooled air conditioners.
- Do not fill swimming or wading pools.
This alert does not include the use of private well systems and affects only New Hanover county Water and Sewer District Water Customers in the listed area.
Visit http://www.wateruseitwisely.com for more ways to save water.