make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

WFD helps educate college students

READ MORE:

WILMINGTON -- The People's Burn Foundation and Campus Fire Safety interviewed several Wilmington firefighters today about a January fire that killed former UNCW student Rory Michaelson.

Nearly 150 college students have been killed in fires over the last ten years. The program aims to help educate students across the country about some common factors in the deadly fires.

"Sprinklers are always the big one," said WFD fire and life safety educator Meg Langston. "The other ones are check your smoke alarms, and the other one is if you're a cigarette smoker just be really careful how you're doing it. Make sure that you have deep large ashtrays, that you're fully extinguishing the cigarette. Even if they've been extinguished, before you put it in the trash can that you're completely wetting those butts."

The program will be available online to colleges throughout the country starting in August.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»

Campus Fire Safety

Kudo's to the Wilmington Fire Department for taking a proactive step forward. As a Campus Safety Officer with NC State, we see many times issues that could be a disaster waiting to happen. We try to educate the students as well as the parents to the need for a fire safe environment and most times we are successful and some times we are not. Fortunately, we have not had an on campus fire in a residential unit as of yet and we hope we do not.
Fire sprinklers save lives and each new building we construct has to have the fire sprinklers installed in them. Houses should also be made to have fire sprinklers installed in them as an added measure of safety.
Keep up the good work

Lest you forget

the big one at Ocean Isle Beach was caused by improperly storing a barbecue grille on a wood deck.