make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Woman dead after discarded cigarette leads to fire

READ MORE: Woman dead after discarded cigarette leads to fire
lullwater_fire.JPG

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- 59-year-old Judy Godwin Cothren died this morning when her house caught on fire.
Investigators say a cigarette started the fire.

The Wilmington Fire Department says a carbon monoxide detector went off early this morning at 124B Lullwater Drive. The people in that home called 911. Crews arrived, and when they could not find the source of CO in 124B, the checked the unit next door and saw light smoking coming from the eaves.

While knocking on the door and ringing the doorbell firefighters could hear an alarm sounding. They forced open the door and started searching. They quickly found the victim, who was overcome from the smoke and CO. They removed her and crews started life saving measures, but were not able to resuscitate her.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»

Thank you for that comment about disrespect!

This was my mom and She was a GREAT lady!! We miss her very much!!! People don't think about what they are saying sometimes. Maybe if it was there loved one they would understand. But I don't wish this on anyone. I'm glad to know there ARE people out there left with some compassion. By the way she was only 59 and would not hear of going to a rest home this was just a horrible accident! RIP MOM!!

God everything about this

God everything about this article, comment, and the video is so disrespectful to the family! Thoughts and prayers to ya'll. Bless her heart she must have been really bad off to have that happen. Too bad she wasn't in an elderly home where someone could have kept an eye on her!

be careful

It is not the first case when a cigarette started the fire. So, people should be more careful if they are smokes.