make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Wrightsville Beach fire leaves many homeless

READ MORE: Wrightsville Beach fire leaves many homeless
WRIGHTSVILLE BEACH -- A fire at a Wrightsville Beach apartment house has left a number of people homeless. Investigators say a pot of cigarette butts ignited on the third floor deck. The fire quickly spread to the vinyl siding of the house. The front side of the building sustained the majority of the damage. Residents at home during when the fire started say it was a scary experience. Amber Miller lives in the apartments. She said, "You could hear the sirens in the distance immediately and just everybody running through, calling everybody just wanting to know, have you seen, who have you seen, are they here." New Hanover County Department of Fire Services says residents are not allowed back in the building. They estimate damage costs between $65,000 and $75. There were no injuries.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»