Creative solutions to endless pollution


WRIGHTSVILLE BEACH, NC (WWAY) — With the rising temperatures and clear skies, many folks are making their way to the beach. Wrightsville Beach says they are trying to clean up their act and they are hoping their creative strategies will mean less litter.

the beach is not your ashtray and the town of Wrightsville Beach says this summer they hope to drive that point home. “People out there care about the beach, and we just need to make sure that the 95% that care, need to get the other 5% to care, too,” says Wrightsville Beach mayor David Cignotti.

- Advertisement -

Cignotti says the town decided not to put a ban on smoking at the beach, yet. Instead, they are going to try some educational tactics to cut down on the pollution. “We’re gonna have ambassadors on the beach this summer that will try to educate people about litter,” says Cignotti. “The proper disposal of cigarette butts will be one of those educational efforts.”

Danielle Richardet picks up litter off Wrightsville Beach every week, and she says she always finds tons of cigarette butts. “When I start picking litter up on the beach, the majority of the litter I do find is cigarette butts unfortunately,” says Richardet.

Because she sees how huge a problem butts on the beach is, Richardet and her family donated a BaitTank to Wrightsville Beach. The BaitTanks are cigarette receptacles that have information on the damaging effects of cigarettes on our world on their sides.

When we spoke with The BaitTank creator Mark Armen, he said he agrees with Wrightsville Beach about the importance of educating the general public rather than just banning smoking all together. “How can we educate so that when a ban isn’t in place or when someone’s sitting in their car at a stop light, they’re not gonna dish it out their window, they’re gonna think twice,” says Armen. “This is a fish, this is two gallons of water. Lets think twice about dishing it outside the window.”

Because of the creative design and the insight on the damage that is done when butts are just tossed, the company says cigarette pollution can be decreased by almost 60%.

There are now two BaitTanks in Wrightsville Beach. One is located by Wings and the other is across the street from Tower 7. Both BaitTanks were donated by private citizens.
The BaitTank could potentially win $25,000 to continue spreading the word if it wins one of The Green Awards.
To vote for The BaitTank:
To learn more about BaitTanks:

Comments are closed.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here