FIRST ON 3: Murder suspect released after charges dropped

21

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A man is free tonight a day after being charged with first degree murder.

Tyron Seabrook is home with his wife after Wilmington Police admitted they no longer have enough evidence to charge him. Police Chief Ralph Evangelous says after the key witness changed his story, he asked prosecutors to drop the charges against Seabrook.

- Advertisement -

“I feel relieved,” Seabrook’s wife Trinetta said. “I knew my husband was innocent from day one. I’ve been fighting for him ever since he was arrested.”

The past few days have been a roller coaster of emotions for Trinetta Adams-Seabrook. She and Tyron got married Friday.

Hours later Tyron’s friend Eugene Logan had been shot and killed in the Hillcrest community.

By Monday afternoon, police had arrested Tyron and charged him with Logan’s death.

Seabrook’s mother was baffled by the arrest.

“We got 60 people saying he didn’t do it, and just one person say he did it, and they made an arrest,” Pamela Bass said.

After Logan’s sister said in court Tuesday that Seabrook was not her brother’s killer, police rechecked their investigation.

Wednesday morning Evangelous said the key witness recanted his statement. Due to the lack of evidence, District Attorney Ben David dropped all charges against Seabrook. About an hour later, Seabrook was out of jail.

His new wife rejoiced in the good news. She says she’s already forgiven police and is ready to put this behind her.

“I’m just glad that today everything is over with, and my husband can come home to me,” Trinetta said.

We tried to talk with Tyron Seabrook, but he has not yet gotten back to us.

Chief Evangelous says his officers did their job properly and thought they had the right man.

David says while it was the right thing to release Seabrook, he still could be charged if new evidence emerges.

Anyone with information on Logan’s murder is asked to contact Wilmington Police by phone or remain anonymous by using Text-A-Tip.