BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — The trial of a man accused of eight felonies while chaperoning teens on a church trip in Brunswick County is now set for November.
The charges stem from an alleged incident at Fort Caswell in June 2013. District Attorney Jon David said the indictments charged Way with exposing himself to four boys under the age of 13, as well as organizing a strip poker game.
Earlier this year Way’s case was scheduled for a trial starting today, but a spokeswoman for the DA’s Office said discussions continue between Way’s attorney and prosecutors on a plea. She said the trial is now set to begin Nov. 16, unless a plea agreement can be reached.
Way was originally scheduled to go to trial last fall, but the case was continued.
Way, 68 at the time of the alleged incident, was a volunteer student ministries team leader for the Stanly Baptist Association. The association said Way was removed from his position after the allegations surfaced.