WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Wilmington Police want you to be aware of potential phone scams from people claiming to be IRS officials.
The scammers demand that taxpayers pay for a bogus tax bill. This could also include robo-calls with “urgent” callback messages of via phishing emails. Here’s the bottom line from the IRS’s website:
The IRS will not:
- Call you to demand immediate payment. The IRS will not call you if you owe taxes without first sending you a bill in the mail.
- Demand that you pay taxes and not allow you to question or appeal the amount you owe.
- Require that you pay your taxes a certain way. For instance, require that you pay with a prepaid debit card.
- Ask for your credit or debit card numbers over the phone.
- Threaten to bring in police or other agencies to arrest you for not paying.
If you receive one of these calls do not give out any information. Hang up immediately. You can report this information by calling the IRS Impersonation Scam Reporting line at (800) 366-4484. Or complete a complaint form online by clicking here.