WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Cape Fear Community College began life as the Wilmington Industrial Education Center in the 1950’s. In 1964 it was called the Cape Fear Technical Institute and later officially became Cape Fear Community College.
In the 1950’s the need for technical education was becoming more and more important as the economy was slowing after the end of the second World War. By 1957 the NC General Assembly passed a bill creating seven Industrial Education Centers in the state. The Wilmington Center opened it’s doors in 1959 at 13th and Market Streets.
The school quickly grew and in 1963 the legislature passed the Community College Act and the school became the Cape Fear Technical institute. The school made connections with local businesses and became an important part of the Wilmington community.
The school became CFCC in 1989. Cape Fear is the seventh largest community college in North Carolina with more than 26,000 students.
The state of NC created the community college system in 1963.