Grill, gas tank blamed for Sunset Beach fire that destroyed home, damaged others

0

BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — Investigators say a grill is to blame for a fire overnight that destroyed a home and damaged several others in Sunset Beach.

Sunset Beach Fire Chief Kevin Dempsey says the fire started when a grill with hot coals tipped over near some grass and hay. He says the wind helped spread the fire, which reached a gas tank that blew up.

- Advertisement -

Dempsey says two people were in the house when the fire started. They are going to stay with friends for the time being. Brunswick County Fire Marshal Scott Garner said there were no reports of injuries.

The call came in at 2:12 a.m. in the 1300 block of East Main Street. Firefighters say the home was engulfed in flames when they arrived. They say it took an hour to get control of the fire, which was still burning hours later. Crews plan to knock down what’s left of the house today.

Two other homes are inhabitable for now, investigators say. Another home was damaged in the fire. In all firefighters evacuated six homes while they battled the fire.