RALEIGH, NC (WWAY/SONC) — The 2017 Plane Pull for Special Olympics North Carolina is a wrap and is being considered a huge success. Organizers say more than 60 teams competed and raised $100,000.
“Participating teams from across the state had a great time competing for bragging rights while supporting nearly 40,000 registered Special Olympics athletes in North Carolina,”Special Olympics North Carolina President/CEO Keith Fishburne said. “Involvement from corporate teams, community groups and law enforcement agencies made the event in its 17th year one of the best ever!”
The 2017 Plane Pull featured five-person teams who attempted to pull a 30,000 pound American Airlines regional jet a distance of 25 feet the fastest. Competition took place in three divisions (corporate/community, law enforcement and female), and an overall champion was crowned after a pull-off between the top 20 fastest teams. The Bertie Enforcers of Bertie Correctional Institution were crowned the overall 2017 Plane Pull Champion with a pull time of 8.20 seconds.
The event’s top individual fundraiser was Jim Farrell of the Credit Suisse Helvetians who raised $1,100 for Special Olympics. Kristine Hughes of Cary was named the event’s top Special Olympics athlete fundraiser for raising $2,711. The top fundraising team was the Fayetteville Police Department Steeres Nutrition Blue with team members raising $3,450.
Top fundraising team:
Fayetteville Police Department Steeres Nutrition Blue
Top individual fundraiser –
Jim Farrell (Credit Suisse Helvetians)
Top Special Olympics athlete fundraiser-
Kristine Hughes (Pull the What?!)
Best Event-Themed T-shirt: Fayetteville Police Department Vitality Vixens
Team Spirit T-Shirt: Bertie Correctional Institution Code 1 Team
The 2017 Plane Pull results are:
1. The Heavy Weights (Food Lion) – 8.25 seconds
2. Team Swoll (Food Lion) – 8.74 seconds
3. RDU Mighty Maintenance – 9.04 seconds
1. Resting Pig Face (Fayetteville Police Department) – 11.83 seconds
2. Code 1 (Bertie Correctional Institution) – 12.03 seconds
3. Vitality Vixens (Fayetteville Police Department) – 12.66 seconds
Law Enforcement Division
1. Bertie Enforcers (Bertie Correctional Institution) – 8.20 seconds (Overall Champs)
2. Fayetteville Police Department Steeres Nutrition Red – 8.58 seconds
3. Size Does Matter (Gaston County Sheriff’s Office) – 8.70 seconds
Trophies were awarded to first, second and third place finishers in each division. The Bertie Enforcers also received a grand champion belt.
Event sponsors include Credit Suisse, American Airlines, Trans States Airlines, RDU International Airport, HMS Host, UPS, Sheetz and Food Lion.