WILMINGTON, North Carolina – After completing a successful opening weekend to the regular season, the UNCW men’s soccer team turns its attention to a pair of nationally-ranked ACC opponents this weekend.
The Seahawks, off to a 2-0-0 start for the fourth time in five years, welcome No. 3 North Carolina to UNCW Soccer Stadium on Friday, Sept. 1, for a 7 p.m. contest before visiting No. 12 Virginia on Monday, Sept. 4, at 7 p.m.
Five Things to Know
- Redshirt senior forward Julio Moncada earned honorable mention notice on the Top Drawer Soccer National Team-of-the-Week after his two-goal effort in last Friday’s win at Jacksonville. He also claimed his third career Colonial Athletic Association Player-of-the-Week award.
- UNCW earned five of its eight wins last year at home and finished with a 5-3-1 mark on its home field.
- North Carolina, which is ranked No. 3 in this week’s United Soccer Coaches Division I poll, will be the highest-ranked opponent to visit UNCW Soccer Stadium since No. 1 UNCG on Nov. 3, 2004. The Seahawks defeated the Spartans by a 3-2 count in that game.
- Seven of Moncada’s 10 career goals have been the game-winning goal.
- The Seahawks will hold a postgame autograph session after Friday’s game against North Carolina.
Up Next: The Seahawks return home to UNCW Soccer Stadium next Friday (Sept. 8) to host Longwood at 7 p.m.