#UNSOLVED: Father seeking justice after only child murdered in Wilmington


WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A father is still grieving and still looking for answers after his only son was murdered in Wilmington a little over a year ago.

“I pray for you every night,” Roger Davis said.

- Advertisement -

Every day, Roger Davis lights a candle right next to a picture of his son Roderick Jinwright.

“He loved sports, all kinds of sports,” Davis said.

Jinwright played football at Hoggard High School.

“I used to go to the practices and I was like the coach on the sidelines,” Davis said. ‘Come on. Come on.’ You know, cheering my son on.”

Davis said when Jinwright was not playing, he was working.

“He loved to work, loved to work and he would not miss a day even if he was ill,” Jinwright said.

Davis said Jinwright worked his way through high school. These are the memories Davis now holds onto.

“It’s painful,” Davis said.

After Jinwright was murdered at just 29 years old on August 10, 2016.

“I had just finished cutting the grass and was in the backyard cooling off,” Davis said. “He had just left, maybe an hour or two before.”

Davis said someone was calling his name.

“He said, ‘You need to go to the hospital, because your son has just gotten shot,'” Davis said.

Detective Kelvin Hargrove with the Wilmington Police Department says they got a Shotspotter alert near 12th and Ann Streets.

“Six shots came through on ShotSpotter,” Hargrove said.

Witnesses told police Jinwright was walking near New Hanover High School.

“He was just walking down 12th Street when an altercation of some type occurred,” Hargrove said.

Hargrove said Jinwright was shot and started running before eventually falling to the ground.

“Officers arrived, attempted to do CPR on the victim until rescue arrived,” Hargrove said.

Jinwright was taken to the hospital.

“Whenever the doctor came in to tell me about his wounds and everything, somehow I just figured in my gut that they were going to come back out and say he’s dead,” Jinwright said.

His gut was right.

“They told me he didn’t make it,” Davis said. “I didn’t know which way to go, what to think about. All I could think about was the last time I saw him when he was walking away.”

Now more than a year later, all he can think about are the unanswered questions.

“We were unable to identify the suspect,” Hargrove.

Police said the shooting happened in daylight near a highschool football practice.

“It’s kind of ironic that all these people that are up there, all these people and nobody knows anything,” Davis said.

Davis said it is part of a growing trend in the Wilmington community.

“We don’t snitch,” Davis said. “A snitch is lower than the scum of the earth. That’s how they put it. It’s a thing that you don’t do.”

Davis said it is because of the reputation.

“And a fear of your life,” Davis said.

Now, Davis fears his life.

“If they had the audacity to do it in broad daylight, it’s no telling what they’ll do for me,” Davis said.

It has not kept him from looking for answers.

“Somebody knows what went on,” Davis said.

He is just waiting for someone to come forward.

“I wish you could just call, come to me and tell me who done it,” Davis said. “I know God is with you. God is going to help bring something to justice.”

Davis will light a candle every day as long as his son’s death is unsolved.

“And I’m going to light it until justice prevails,” Davis said.