Wilmington gang member who pulled gun on officer pleads guilty


WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) –A Wilmington gang member will spend at least two years behind bars for a crime that happened just over a year ago near 23rd and Chestnut Streets.

Deshon Rucker, 20, pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm by a felon, felony breaking and entering and felony larceny.

- Advertisement -

On September 7, 2016, the Wilmington Police Department Gang Unit and FBI received word Rucker and Deshaun Clarida, both validated gang members, were driving a rental car near Creekwood.

A tip informed police of an escalating feud between their gang and a rival gang. Police also received photos of Clarida with two guns, which he was not allowed to have because he’s a felon.

Law enforcement from across the area began looking for Clarida to prevent violence.

That same day, shots were fired on Henry Street off of Princess Place Drive. Detectives spotted a Honda they believed Clarida was in and tried to pull it over. The car slowed down and it appeared Rucker was going to run. As a detective started to approach, Rucker turned towards him with a gun in his hand.

The detective fired several shots and Rucker ran off. He threw his gun in the bushes, which was found later by an ATF canine.

Rucker broke into a home on Emory Street and barricaded himself inside. Rucker eventually surrendered. Two more guns were found in his home, which the owners said did not belong to them.

Clarida, who was driving the car, was detained at the scene. He previously pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm by a felon and received a sentence of 11 to 23 months.

Rucker will spend between 24 to 47 months in prison.

“This case is a classic example of the heroism, teamwork, and dedication that law enforcement undertakes on a daily basis to keep this community safe and attempt to stem the rising tide of gang violence. Their proactive efforts probably prevented one or more persons from being maimed or murdered. Our state and federal law enforcement partnerships were essential in the successful prosecution of this case,” said Assistant District Attorney Timothy Severo.