PENDER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — The Pender County Animal Shelter says Saturday morning, they found a box on their front steps sealed shut with packing tape. Staff thought it was a dead pet. Turns out, that wasn’t the case.
“You know, came into the office. Of course we’re going to open it to make sure. Pretty surprised to find not one but two very hypoxic cats,” Jewell Horton, the shelter manager said.
The two kittens were sealed inside and barely alive. Horton says they were deprived of oxygen. Employees tended to them as quickly as possible to save their lives.
“If they had been in there a long time and you know, maybe a few hours longer, hard to say. I mean, they were definitely very disoriented, very dizzy, very suppressed breathing but it’s kind of like carbon monoxide poisoning basically. You’re just kind of re-breathing your own air that you’re exhaling. So, it just kind of slows everything down,” Horton said.
The cats recovered and just underwent spay and neuter surgery. Their story was posted on Facebook and now these cats have homes.
“The community has just rallied behind them so hard with their likes and their shares and they both have waiting lists so they have homes lined up for when they get adopted tomorrow,” Horton said.
Horton also says it is okay to drop animals off at the shelter, but not like this. Whatever container you use should allow the animals to breathe.