CAROLINA BEACH, NC (WWAY) — With the new year, comes new rules for golf carts in Carolina Beach.
In September, the town held a public hearing and approved revisions to the current golf cart rules.
Starting January 1, all golf carts must have headlights, taillights, and turn signal lamps. Seat belts are also required for every person on the golf cart and must be worn by all passengers, including children.
Other rules include:
- All golf carts shall only be driven on roads posted 35 miles per hour or less.
- All golf carts must have liability insurance coverage.
- All golf carts shall be equipped with at least one fixed operational mirror allowing the operator to see behind the cart.
- All required safety equipment must be installed to NCDOT specifications and in place before the golf cart is registered with the town.
- The operator of a golf cart must be at least 16 years of age and possess a valid driver’s license.
- Drivers of golf carts shall stay to the far right of the traveled portion of the road and yield the right-of-way to overtaking motor vehicles.
- No one is allowed to stand on a golf cart while it is in operation, and a golf cart may only transport the appropriate amount of people it is designed to carry.
- Any person who operates a golf cart on public streets and roads must adhere to all applicable State and local laws, regulations, and ordinances, including but not limited to those banning the possession and use of alcoholic beverages, and all other illegal drugs. In addition, no golf cart containing any open container of alcohol shall be operated on public roads.
- The operator of the golf cart shall comply with all traffic rules and regulations adopted by the State of North Carolina and the Town of Carolina Beach which governs the operation of motor vehicles
2018 golf cart permits go on sale January 2. You can buy them at Town Hall or online.