Parents frustrated with how school system handled threat


NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — It’s been just over a week since a teenaged gunman killed 17 at a Florida school. Here in the Cape Fear, tensions are high and parents are on edge after several threats at area schools.

“They had plenty of time to notify parents,” father Jon Deputy said.

- Advertisement -

Deputy said parents weren’t notified about a threat at Myrtle Grove Middle School until a day after it was found.

Rumors of threats also spread at Ashley High School and parent Michelle Moore said they are having an effect on her son.

“He just doesn’t even want to be at school,” Moore said.

A 14-year-old Myrtle Grove Student is now charged, but parents are more concerned about how it was all handled.

“The chaos ended up being a safety issue then the actuall issue itself and all that comes back to the failure to notify parents what was going on,” Deputy said.

Deputy’s eight grader was texting him from school about the threat long before he heard from the school.

“People want to know fairly quickly and we’re going to let them know as quickly as we can, but often times that may be a few hours or the next day, especially if were dealing with an active situation,” Deputy Superintendent Dr. Rick Holliday said.

A situation that comes with serious consequences.

“In addition to being a class H felony for threatening a mass violence at a school grounds or any school activity even if its off school grounds,” District Attorney Ben David said.

A crime on your record and a cost for you or your parents wallet.

“The person who has called that in or put that posting out there is also responsible for restitution for the cost associated with that response,” David said.

But Moms like Moore want an additional punishment.

“I don’t think they should be able to come back to school at all,” Moore said. “I mean they should be seen by a doctor.”

This afternoon parents at Ashley High received a call from the principal saying the school was safe. He mentioned a threat found on a wall earlier this month and said it was not credible.