BURGAW, NC (WWAY) – After widespread devastation from Hurricane Florence and the subsequent flooding, town leaders in Burgaw are intent on hosting events to mark the holiday season and to bring a little cheer to folks who were hit hard by the September storm.
The town plans to host six events, starting Nov. 30 and concluding New Year’s Eve, include the annual lighting of the Christmas tree on the courthouse square, a home tour, Santa’s Workshop, the Annual Lighted Christmas Parade, Christmas on The Square, and the New Year’s Eve Blueberry Drop.
“Burgaw is small-town Americana,” said Zach White, Director of Burgaw Parks and Recreation. “The businesses and the town decorate for the holidays. It’s the perfect setting for memorable Hometown Christmas celebrations.”
Event details include:
- Friday, Nov. 30, 6-8 p.m., the Annual Christmas Tree Lighting, sponsored by the Town of Burgaw, features Christmas carols, a visit by Santa, and Letters to Santa.
- Saturday, Dec. 1, 3-5 p.m., Pender Historical Society presents Christmas Home Tour of historic and beautifully decorated local buildings and homes. Tickets may be purchased at area merchants and the Pender County Museum.
- Saturday, Dec. 8, 3-5 p.m., join us for Santa’s Workshop in the Historic Burgaw Train Depot. This free community event will feature photos with Santa, a gingerbread house contest and display, crafts and cookies. Anyone interested in submitting a gingerbread house for the contest, should call 910-300-6401 for details.
- Saturday, Dec. 8, 5:30 p.m., the Annual Lighted Christmas Parade steps off in Historic Downtown Burgaw. The only lighted nighttime Christmas Parade in the county, this is an event the entire family will enjoy. We guarantee there will be snow! Parade entry forms are available at the Pender County Tourism office.
- Saturday, Dec. 15, 10-3 p.m., Christmas on The Square is a fun holiday festival of shopping in Downtown Burgaw. Food vendors and uniquely beautiful arts and crafts make perfect gifts.
- Dec. 31, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m., the Blueberry Drop rings in the New Year at 7 p.m. in sync with the Greenwich Mean Time Zone.
There is also a Hometown Christmas Decorating Contest in which businesses, homeowners, churches and non-profits may participate. Judging will take place Dec. 5.
For more information about the upcoming Hometown Christmas events, contact Burgaw Parks and Recreation at 910-300-6401 or Pender County Tourism at 910-259-1536. You can also like the town’s Facebook pages — Town of Burgaw, Town Hall and Pender County Christmas — for additional updates.