FAYETTEVILLE, NC (WWAY) — NCDOT says seven bridges, three in Bladen and Columbus counties, will be replaced over the next two years.
The NC Department of Transportation this month signed off on two contracts totaling $4.7 million to a group of companies that will design and build the new bridges, and demolish the existing structures.
Officials say all of the bridges being replaced are either structurally deficient or functionally obsolete, or both.
The new bridges will be delivered using a method, known as Express Design-Build that expedites the design, environmental permitting, land acquisition, utility relocation and the construction. NCDOT says the innovative process saves taxpayer dollars and shortens driving delays for motorists.
The bridges under the two contracts to be replaced are:
- James Porter Road over Kelly Creek in Bladen County
- Over Lyon Road over Kelly Canal in Bladen County
- Old Tram Road over Boogy Branch in Columbus County
- Bloomingdale Road over Indian Swamp in Robeson County
- Hoover Road over Gum Swamp in Harnett County
- Hollow Bridge Road over Sandy Creek in Cumberland County
- Hollow Bridge Road over Sandy Creek Overflow in Cumberland County
The work will start after Feb. 25 and last through summer 2021.