NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — The Federal Emergency Management Agency has approved $9.5 million to reimburse New Hanover County for removal of debris following Hurricane Florence.
More than 1 million cubic yards of vegetation and other debris was collected from public rights of way throughout the county. The vegetative debris was chipped into mulch, and all debris was ultimately disposed of at the New Hanover County Landfill in Wilmington.
FEMA’s Public Assistance program provides grants to state and local governments, and to certain types of private nonprofit organizations to reimburse for the cost of debris removal, life- saving emergency protective measures and permanent repair work to damaged infrastructure.
FEMA’s Public Assistance is a cost-sharing program which reimburses applicants no less than 75 percent of eligible costs and the remaining 25 percent is covered by the state of North Carolina. FEMA’s share for this project was $7.1 million. The federal portion is paid directly to the state, which disburses funds to the agencies, local governments and to certain private nonprofit organizations that incurred costs.