RALEIGH, NC (AP) — North Carolina middle and high school students soon will have a new way to anonymously report safety threats when they return to classes.
Multiple news outlets report that the state superintendent of public instruction said at a news conference Thursday that North Carolina will join the “Say Something Anonymous Reporting System.”
Superintendent Mark Johnson says students will be able to download an app and report troubling behavior.
The program is a partnership with a violence prevention organization called Sandy Hook Promise. It was created by families of victims of the Connecticut school shooting in 2012.
Johnson says 70 North Carolina schools used the app in the pilot program last year. He says it will cost $650,000 a year to use in all of the state’s middle and high schools.