Third COVID-19 related death reported in Brunswick County

0
Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) (Photo: CDC)

BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — Brunswick County Health Services is reporting the third death of a county resident associated with COVID-19 today.

The individual passed away Monday, June 1 and had been one of the county’s hospitalized cases. They were also a household contact to another positive resident case. The patient was considered a person at high risk for severe illness as they were over the age of 65 and had some underlying medical conditions.

- Advertisement -

To protect the family’s privacy, no further information about this patient will be released.

“On behalf of my fellow county commissioners, I extend our sincerest condolences to the family and friends of this resident,” Chairman Frank Williams said. “The wellbeing of our residents who have tested positive and of those affected by the crisis’ wide range of health and economic impacts is of paramount concern at this time. I continue to ask everyone to keep calm, to follow the guidance of our health professionals, and to keep those affected by this virus in your thoughts.”

This is the third Brunswick County resident to pass away from the virus and fifth overall. The County reported the first resident to pass away April 3 and the second resident April 15.



Two non-residents who tested positive while visiting the county have also had deaths associated to the virus; the first non-resident passed away April 10 and the second non-resident passed away April 21. Both of these cases were unrelated to each other. Neither of the two non-resident cases are included in the County’s official case count due to reporting rules, however Health Services provides information on non-resident cases it receives for transparency.

“It is particularly sad for us to hear about this passing as we had not had an individual succumb to the virus for more than a month now,” Health and Human Services Director David Stanley said. “Our Health Services team is deeply sorry to know that another individual has been lost. We sincerely ask that our residents and visitors continue to take the threat of COVID-19 seriously and to watch out for one another through our actions and decisions moving forward.”