Deputies: Columbus Co. man charged for causing severe injuries to 13-day-old baby

Justin Dewayne Williamson (Photo: CCSO)

CLARENDON, NC (WWAY) — On September 10, Columbus County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigation Division received a Columbus County Department of Social Services referral for child abuse of an infant.

On September 8, a 13-day-old baby was transported to Loris Hospital for medical treatment.

- Advertisement -

The sheriff’s office says the infant had scratches covering her upper body, an abrasion on the side of her neck, bruising on her clavicle area, a subdural hematoma (head trauma), and pneumomediastinum (air in her mediastinum.) She also had seizures as a result of the head trauma.

She was transferred to Grand Strand Medical Center in Myrtle Beach, due to the severity of her injuries.

“The infant’s father, Justin Dewayne Williamson, 22, was alone with the infant while her mother was taking care of business in Whiteville,” CCSO wrote in a release. “The father advised that he stuck his finger in the infant’s mouth, cutting the infant’s mouth. The infant then began choking on blood. He then did a finger sweep of her throat, cutting her again. He then thought she was no longer breathing, after attempting CPR, he rushed the infant outside to another family member. He said he might have hit her head on the way outside but he wasn’t sure. Hall was contacted and came home. The baby was then transported to the hospital after some time had passed. Williamson told a different story of what happened while at the hospital. Upon examination, blood was found in the infant’s nose and mouth.
During the investigation, the investigator learned that approximately a week prior, Williamson was outside under a covered porch. He allegedly lifted the infant over his head because she was laughing and hit her head on the top rafters of the covered porch. The infant would have been seven days old or younger. Neither parent sought medical care for the child after that incident.”

Justin Williamson was arrested on October 22, and charged with felony intentional child abuse inflicting serious physical injury. He received a $100,000 secured bond.

The infant was immediately removed from the parents’ custody by the Department of Social Services.

She has been released from the hospital.