PENDER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — A man was airlifted to the hospital after being recently shot at a home in Burgaw. The investigation into that shooting lead to another man being arrested on gun and drug charges.
On February 4, patrol units from the Pender County Sheriff’s Office responded to Pender Memorial Hospital for a report of a shooting victim who was being taken there by a private car. He was then airlifted to New Hanover Regional Medical Center for his injuries.
Deputies say it happened at a home in the 200 block of Croomsbridge Road in Burgaw. PCSO responded and determined Elias Jacob Aguilar was shot there.
During the investigation, PCSO says deputies executed a search warrant of the home and found guns, including one that was reported stolen, and what was believed to drugs.
The following items were reported seized by deputies:
- One Smith & Wesson .38 caliber revolver
- One Glock 9mm Handgun, reported stolen from Beauleville NC on January 9, 2021
- One AR-15 rifle
- One shotgun
- Multiple boxes and bags containing various types of ammunition
- 955 bars of Xanax
- Suspected cocaine, methamphetamine, and various other types of narcotics.
Michael Tyler Smith, of Wilmington is charged with the following:
- 3 counts of possession of firearm by felon
- Possession of a stolen firearm
- Possession with Intent to Sell Methamphetamine
- Possession with intent to sell Schedule-1 Controlled Substance
- Possession with intent to sell Schedule-2 Controlled Substance
- Possession with intent to sell Schedule-4 Controlled Substance
- Manufacture Schedule-1 Controlled Substance
- Manufacture Schedule-2 Controlled Substance
- Manufacture Schedule-4 Controlled Substance
- Manufacture of Methamphetamine, Possession of Methamphetamine
- Possession of Schedule-1 Controlled Substance
- Possession of Schedule-4 Controlled Substance.
Smith remains in the Pender County Jail under $175,000 Secured Bond.
The investigation is ongoing.