make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

WFD: Cigarette sparked fire that destroyed house

READ MORE:

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- The Wilmington Fire Department says a cigarette is to blame for a weekend house fire. The fire broke out Saturday morning at 629 Woodlawn Avenue.

Investigators say it started with a cigarette smoldering in a recliner in the living room.

The house is a total loss leaving the two men who lived there without a place to stay. They're getting help from the Red Cross.

One of the victims says his dog woke him up, perhaps saving his life.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»

SMOKING KILLS!

WHEN ARE PEOPLE GONNA LEARN? I DON'T GET IT. CIGARETTES CAUSE SO MUCH HEARTACHE. WAKE UP PEOPLE.

house fire

so are you going to stop smoking now?

I was the victim in the

I was the victim in the house when fire started. I walked thru the living room into the dining room to where I seen the smoke and flames. I would really like to know how the conclusion says started in the living room when I clearly walked thru it not on fire? I might also add the living room is where I had to run back into get my phone and was filled with smoke, not fire.

Update

Just heard that insurance inspector found the fire to of sparked and started between the Fridge & Microwave in the kitchen. Exactly where I seen the flames and smoke, when I was awoke by my dog and walked around, through the un-burning living room, to see what was going on!!

fire

You should know seems you were there !! Anyway, It doesn't matter where or how it started the important thing is no one died!! You are a lucky man with a really great dog, buy it a big steak :)

Correct

I just wanted to clear up that very mis-construed article, blaming a cigarette. I am very grateful to still be alive and been treating the dog like a queen. Now she wont even touch her dog food haha. I would also like to thank everyone that has helped us with places to sleep and some clothes.

Ignore them...

Some posters are so judgmental and have no empathy for others. Glad you and your roommate are safe.

Glad your okay!

Your alive that's what matters! I lost my mom last September due to a fire in her apartment. Your very lucky and have a second chance at life now. I wish my mom had of got that chance. But
every thing happens for a reason and we just have to accept that and move on. So put this all behind you and just try to keep smiling.