make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Overnight fire kills paraplegic

READ MORE:

BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) -- A Brunswick County man is dead after an early-morning house fire. Sheriff's deputies are investigating the fire that happened before 2 a.m. off Hewett-Burton Road near Leland.

The victim's name is not being released at this time, but we are told the victim was a paraplegic confined to a wheelchair and was found dead in the living room of his home. The fire marshal says a cigarette caused the fire.

Neighbor Ann McKeel said he was a quiet man who stayed to himself.

"This is very upsetting to me knowing that I always seen him out in the yard, washing his vehicle, and he never bothered me," McKeel said. "I'm gonna miss seeing him out in the yard. This is a huge shock."

McKeel said the victim was an older man who did not leave his home much.

An autopsy is scheduled for tomorrow in Greenville.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»