make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

WWAY NewsChannel 3: The station WECT watches to get its news

READ MORE:
WWAY_NewsChannel_3.jpg

Habits are hard to break. We understand that. But having bad habits mean you might be missing out.

These last two weeks are a perfect example. If you watched WECT, you wouldn't know that...

> A Pender County teacher has been charged with cyberstalking one of her teenage students.
> A Raleigh couple claims a State Highway Patrol trooper tried to intimidate them in Wilmington after pulling over the wife for a "burned out headlight."
> A local McDonald's has tested its employees for TB.
> A vacationing girl was bitten by a shark at North Topsail Beach.
> And the North Carolina State Supreme Court halted a local judge's order and is allowing the district attorney to run traffic court the way he wants to.

It's hard to say why we're the only TV station in town covering these important stories. Maybe we don't mind controversial topics. Maybe WECT doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to rock the boat. Maybe it's a little of both.

But no matter why, the bottom line is simple: if you want IMPORTANT, INFORMATIVE, REAL LOCAL NEWS, the only place to get it is on WWAY NewsChannel 3.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»

Would you like a little cheese with your whine?

First things first, if you HAVE to complain about another news network's coverage then you are probably having issues finding things to cover that are legitimate news.
Next, WWAY, you are experiencing something called "Napoleonic Syndrome". Your news is short, lacking gusto, and irrevocably ignorant. Really? Crying about another network? Why don't you get some sponsors, step up your sales, actually get a GOOD studio, get some decent anchors and change the people's minds through valuable news information that is covered well and truthfully. THAT is the way you go about beating your competition. WECT has won countless awards and been the leader in news for too long to have a whiny web article change that tune. You've lost money, jobs, talent, and sponsors. Go and deal with that before you begin reaching outside your own realm.
Bad form WWAY... bad form. You should reprimand whatever news director, producer, or web producer that decided it would be a good idea to post this.

I am not understanding this

I am not understanding this ,what are you talking about what did they do wrong,I watch all 3 channels,clear this up as to what you are talking about and what they were suppose to have done

i like wect better then

i like wect better then wwaytv3. wway has news on their website from like 4 or 5 years ago wect is always updated

bad form

Bad form WWAY. I'd love to hear your newscaster "RANT" about this one!

No need to degrade another station. This was lack of class and not even appropriate. Why? Do you really think someone is going to stop going to WECT because of it? No, I think it may push more people to go TO them because of your lack of class.

Who's watching who?

You really need to do your investigating before making accusations. You claim WECT didn't report the story about the girl bitten by the shark. Yes they did. They had it on their website on 6/30/11 @ 4:16pm whereas you didn't report it on your website until 6/30/11 @ 11:29pm. So who was first? Hmmm... It appears that you get your news from WECT.

Where is your report about the 5 car pileup on Military Cutoff this afternoon?
Where is your report about shots being fired at Independence Mall?

WWAY, as much as you want to report that you are perfect, you are NOT.

Wow!

I like watching WWAY. But after this child-like article, I think I'll switch over to WECT. They're more mature in their reporting. This article is embarrassing for your station. I see that whoever penned this article wasn't even brave enough to tag their name to it. (Note the "Submitted by WWAY".) If you are so great, as YOU say you are, at covering important stories an conquering controversial topics then you wouldn't be writing non-sense articles such as this one. This is an all time low for you station. I'm surprised you didn't end the article with "nah-nah na boo-boo" and a :P (sticking your tongue out).

WWAY'S News reports versus WECT'S

I am very satisfied with WWAY'S news coverage.They are not afraid to go out and report on the events that are happening around us. Some networks are afraid to touch such topics as the R.C Soles Saga or the D.A.Jon David v/s District Court Judge Jerry Jolly Cronicles. These events need to be covered and reported to the citizens. Thank you WWAY for the excellent work you provide to the people of Wilmington and the surrounding areas.

I read this stuff on here

I read this stuff on here for entertainment but for news I watch WECT. I think WECT is a good news reporting outlet, they just don't print all the little bullsh** stories that WWAY prints. When you get to the point where you have to pat your own back it's most likely because no one else can find a reason to.

TV stations

I watch WECT - it MUST be okay, because you do it too, or you wouldn't know what they were or were not reporting, RIGHT? I also watch WWAY - we record the news on both stations to watch on our time, so we can whiz through all the "blarney" with our remotes. Doesn't take NEARLY as long to get the REAL news that way.

Bragging like this is most

Bragging like this is most unprofessional. Sorta leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Kevin W with the rant was like the bully on the playground. Now it seems that attitude has over taken your station. Not good.

WWAY your local DIRT

WWAY your local DIRT news!!!!! Thanks for the top of the line reporting.......quick on the draw....slow on the retractions.

SOO LOW!!

Once again the low down dirty news of news channel 3. It just AGAIN shows how much more classy and better WECT is than you. Its funny how you also get their seconds George Elliot really HAHHA i like George but yeah Im pretty sure you all are getting seconds. I actually love when you talk about WECT they get more credability than you. Keep bashing them because you still are number 2. These tactics of bashing WECT will not work get a real job we already have a news station in Wilmington, its WECT!!!!!!!!!!

Never Ceases to amaze me

WWAY never ceases to amaze me with their unprofessional stabs at other media outlets. However, it does excite me to see this stab because it means WWAY realizes and indirectly admits they are in last place when it comes to ratings.

I'm hopeful the management or ownership of WWAY-TV will soon realize they have the same potential as other media outlets to build positive relationships with other outlets and area entities and could also be among the top-watched stations.

Keep it up WWAY-3 and create a post when you have an actual newscast that we can tune into 7-days a week.

Stay classy, WWAY.

I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly...

Thank you WWAY for not being

Thank you WWAY for not being too afraid to cover controversial stories like a girl being bitten by a shark. Rock that boat.

Seems a bit unprofessional,

Seems a bit unprofessional, classless, and childish to slam your competition. Instead of singing your own praises, why not let your newscasts prove your value rather than screaming 'we're #1' as loud as you can?

I wouldn't EVER think of bad mouthing MY competition. I let my work speak for itself. You should do the same.

So True!!!!

So True!!!!

Well said. Confident and

Well said. Confident and competent businesses never need to mention their competition.

So Brian - are you saying

So Brian - are you saying that a company like BMW isn't confident or competent?

Check out the commercial they're running right now. Note the Mercedes and the Volvo in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2AdcX5dgE0

Guess they don't know what they're doing either.

Star News is OK so long as

Star News is OK so long as the (negative) story doesn't involve a friend of Bob Gruber.

WOW

Maybe because you all think you are TMZ and not a news channel can you boast like this!

Tooting Your Horn?

We'll see what the next round of television ratings have to say...nothing wrong with a little healthy competition.

Local media

WWAY and the Star News do the best in our area hands down.

WECT covers the fluff that is spoon fed to them. (events/festivals, sports, auto wrecks, press releases, etc)

Three cheers for WWAY. Tell

Three cheers for WWAY. Tell it like it is!!

I watch WWAY mostly, but I

I watch WWAY mostly, but I read both websites. I've never seen WECT write a story about you, but you guys frequently headline them. What gives? Is that news reporting?

Whipped Child Syndrome

Dave:

As it applies to WWAY, I believe the psychological term is 'inferiority complex.' An excessive display of self-promotion and bragging in order to cover-up known faults, such as not working on weekends, updating stories, teaser headlines that reveal nothing but shallowness and fluff...yellow journalism, etc., etc.

It's entertainment, but it's not news.

I agree Deal.....

I really was quite fond of WWAY until the past 8 months or so with all of the dribble about RC Soles. I felt as though I was reading the National Inquirer. Gossip and tease are not journalism. The only reason I even saw this article is because I check three different sources for current weather. Sorry guys.....seems to be going downhill.

Not news but fluff?

I beg to differ. It is exactly as it has been stated here: the newspaper won't touch anybody important. WECT NEVER has anything but shallowness and fluff. Where have you really been looking? Or are you from the paper or the other channel? If you really want to know what goes on around here, you better check here. Your remark as to yellow journalism, perhaps you'd rather not know anything but where to take a fan to donate or the places you can go to get your newest beauty treatment. You can't even get a straight weather report because they don't want to scare away the tourists.

One reason the station wants to compare itself against the competition is that meatheads can't see for themselves AND it is a way to doublecheck the station's work. I don't see it as stupid or beating their own drum or anything but telling the truth. If you don't like it, keep tuned to WECT and stop bashing these people. They don't seem to be afraid to do things like check on a lawyer's business or background when he's shouting about police brutality. I didn't see anybody else take that initiate.

"WWAY The Watchdog" Where the flaws of WECT Come First!

Maybe the owner's of WWAY should be more focused on improving their brand than focusing on the "flaws" at WECT. WECT is a brand that people are loyal to because have been watching them for their news their entire life. WWAY hasn't been a relevant brand in this town for quite some time now. Whether you like it or not - WECT is a nice brand with an experienced news team, and they are doing a fine job of delivering the news. Journalism shouldn't be about politics(with all the "watchdog" silliness) it should be about delivering the news no matter what your ratings reflect. Maybe those who feel like they could bring something valuable to the WECT team should apply for a job there. Win/win, right?