JACKSONVILLE, NC (AP) -- An Onslow County couple has been charged after their fireworks started a fire.
WCTI-TV reported that Onslow County Forest Ranger Ricky Atkins says the fire started Sunday night when a couple was using fireworks in their back yard in the Half Moon area.
Firefighters were still putting out hot spots Monday morning.
Atkins says the fire was started when a rocket landed in some dry underbrush and grass that had dried from the drought.
The state forest service has charged Mark and Loretta Schaefer with setting a fire and failure to extinguish a fire on brush land. It wasn't clear if the couple has an attorney.
Information from: WCTI-TV, http://www.wcti12.com/
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)