Perdue fundraiser to admit campaign finance violation

By MICHAEL BIESECKER
Associated Press

RALEIGH, NC (AP) -- A former top fundraiser for Gov. Bev Perdue is expected to appear in court Wednesday to plead guilty to a charge related to campaign finance violations.

Peter Anthony Reichard of Greensboro is accused of funneling $32,000 in under-the-table payments from a wealthy Perdue donor through a private company he controlled to pad the salary of a full-time campaign fundraiser. Reichard was Perdue's campaign finance director in 2007-08, at the time the illegal payments were made.

Reichard's lawyer, Hart Miles of Raleigh, says he expects the case against his client to be resolved Wednesday. Reichard was indicted last month on a felony count of obstruction of justice.

Wake District Attorney Colon Willoughby says the criminal cases against three others with ties to the Democratic governor will move forward into next year.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.