Layered Fruit Crumble Cake
SERVES 12 - START TO FINISH: 15 minutes prep, 50 minutes unattended baking time
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) butter
1/3 cup water
1 large can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple packed in juice
4 ripe medium-size bananas, fresh or frozen *
1 pound frozen sliced peaches *
1 box (16.25 ounces) white or yellow cake mix
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cut the butter into 6 pieces, and place them in a microwave-safe dish. Add the water and microwave, on high, covered with a paper towel, until butter melts, about 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside.
3. Spray a 13X9-inch glass or metal baking dish with non-stick cooking oil spray. Spread the pineapple (with its juice) evenly in the bottom of the prepared dish. Cut the bananas into slices about 1/4 inch thick, and place them evenly over the pineapple. Break up any large chunks of peaches and sprinkle them over bananas.
4. Sprinkle the cake mix evenly over the fruit, spreading it all the way to the edges of the pan. Whisk well the butter and water and quickly drizzle the melted butter in a fine stream evenly over the cake mix, covering the cake mix completely. Sprinkle the almonds evenly over the dish.
5. Bake 45 to 55 minutes, or until the top is golden and the edges are bubbly.
*Notes: If the bananas are frozen, do not thaw them, or they'll turn to mush. Just use a sharp knife to carefully slice the frozen bananas, and put them into the dish.
Frozen peaches can melt and refreeze into a big clump. If this has happened to your peaches, simple whack the bag (before opening) on the counter to break them up.