WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- Approximately 15 homes were evacuated this morning because of a natural gas leak at Hanover and McRae Streets in Wilmington.
A 3/4" gas line ruptured when CFPUA crews were digging. The Wilmington Fire Department and Piedmont Gas responded around 10 a.m. to evacuate homes and keep the area secured during repairs.
CFPUA spokeswoman Carey Ricks says the utility had been told Monday by No Cuts/Piedmont Gas that the area had been marked properly, but Ricks and WFD Battalion Chief David Hines said the gas line was not marked.
Crews reopened the streets just after 11 a.m.