7 Comments for this article

Tags: , , , , ,

By F.T. Norton
Fran.Norton@StarNewsOnline.com

BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (StarNewsOnline.com) — A Brunswick County jury Friday found Joseph Moreno not guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the 2009 vehicle deaths of Caleb Diaz Hawkins and Jacob Moseley.

Instead they found Moreno guilty of misdemeanor death by vehicle on both counts.

According to court documents, Moreno was 17 years old and driving 95 mph on Royal Oak Drive in Brunswick County on May 7, 2009, when he lost control and rolled his vehicle ejecting Hawkins and Moseley. Moseley died on the scene, Hawkins died days later at the hospital.

Click here to read more at StarNewsOnline.com.

Comment on this Story

7 Comments on "Man found guilty of misdemeanor death by vehicle in friends’ deaths"

anne
2015 years 9 months ago

And what do you think his punishment should be? I am sure he has alot of guilt – his bad judgement caused the deaths of two young people and yes I am sure he will live with that for the rest of his life, but do you think he should not have to serve for it?

Remember, his family will get to visit him. The families of the others only get to go to a gravesite to visit

Guest 10101
2015 years 9 months ago

Tragic that young lives were once again needlessly lost. Tragic that the driver will have to live with his guilt for the rest of his life.

Wrong to say it was a COMPLETE accident. Driving at 95mph is no accident. It is a terribly wrong conscious choice.

Mr. Moreno’s mental and emotional pain is a consequence of his decision to drive 95mph. I can understand his pain. Too bad, he deserves it. If he willfully chose to act that way, he deserves the consequences of his own actions.

its me
2015 years 9 months ago

driving 95 miles per hour and killing someone is not a complete accident. YOU are ridiculous if you believe that is an accident. I bet you wouldn’t feel that way if it was someone in your family that was killed. While I’m sure this young man feels terrible, at least he is alive to “feel terrible.” His friends weren’t that lucky.

GuestX
2015 years 9 months ago

I completely agree,that he is most likely suffuring,but make no mistake this wasnt an accident.This was a bad decision that he made on his part.I just hope that the people who knew him and some that dont ,understand that all choices bad or good have consequences.I dont know this young man but he will carry this for the rest of his life.

2015 years 9 months ago

COMPLETE accidents just do not happen if you are going 95 mph…..just saying!

Guest1012513264
2015 years 9 months ago

If people knew how bad moreno is mentally and emotionally hurt, they would understand. Yes it was his fault that he killed them while driving. Although it was a COMPLETE accident, he already has enough punishment for the rest of his life knowing that he killed his two bestfriends. This whole thing of being charged for it is ridiculous. thats my opinion, thank you!

guesty
2015 years 9 months ago

It was not a complete accident. It was however completely preventable, don’t drive 95MPH. And then he didn’t even have the stones to apologize to the families for the deaths he caused.