make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Rocky Point man taken to hospital after house catches fire

READ MORE:
Fire_006.JPG

ROCKY POINT, NC (WWAY) -- It was a scary morning for a Rocky Point man, when he found his house on fire. The fire broke out at 120 Lightwood Knot Lane off NC 117.

The call came in to 911 around 11 a.m. A neighbor said when he ran to help, the owner of the house was so black with soot, he did not even recognize him.

Neighbors got the family dog and cat out safely. The man's wife and children were not home at the time.

"There was little fire showing, but the upstairs had a lot of fire, and in the upstairs there was extreme smoke damage," Deputy Fire Marshal Tommy Batson said.

Crews had the situation completely contained by this afternoon.

The owner was taken to New Hanover Regional Medical Center to be treated for smoke inhalation, but he is expected to be OK.

The fire marshal is still investigating how the fire started.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»