WILMINGTON, NC (NEWS RELEASE) -- The Wilmington Race for the Cure® is happening downtown this weekend! As a fundraising event in the fight against breast cancer, we expect over 2,500 runners and walkers to participate in the 5K event on Saturday morning, March 2nd.
The Race begins at 8:30am with the start and finish lines on 2nd Street between Princess and Dock St. For the safety of all participants, it will be necessary to restrict traffic on the streets along the race course. We regret any inconvenience it may cause, but we hope that by alerting you in advance, we can work together to minimize any problems. Street closures will occur as follows. The listed times are conservative estimates. Sections of the course actually reopen as soon as the trailing car passes each intersection.
1. 2nd St. between Princess and Orange St. – 4:00am- 12:00pm
2. Orange St. from 2nd St. to Front St. – 7:00am – 9:45am
3. Front Street from Orange St. to Nun St. – 7:00am – 10:00am
4. Nun Street from Front St. to 5th St. - 7:00am – 10:00am
5. 5th Street from Nun St. to Red Cross St. - 7:00am – 10:30am
6. Red Cross St. between 5th St. and 4th St. - 7:00am – 10:30am
7. 4th Street from Red Cross St. crossing over 3rd St. – 7:00am – 10:30am
8. North Front Street to Hanover St. – 7:00am – 11:00am
9. Hanover St. between Front St. and Nutt St. – 7:00am – 11:00am
10. Water Street from Nutt St. to Princess St. – 7:00am – 11:00am
11. Princess St. between Water St. and 2nd St. – 7:00am – 11:00am
Note: 5th Street will remain open to Southbound traffic (away Market St.) throughout the event, but you will likely encounter some delays at the Market St. traffic light.
Traffic control will be posted at the following intersections to allow intermediate traffic flow:
· 3rd and Nun St.
· 3rd and Davis/Front St.
· 4th and Red Cross St.
· 5th and Market St.
· 5th and Nun St.
· 5th and Red Cross St.
Komen Race for the Cure events raise significant funds and awareness for the fight against breast cancer, celebrates breast cancer survivorship, and honors those who have lost their battle with the disease. Your enthusiastic, neighborly support will be a highlight for our participants! We encourage you to join us as a participant and/or be a cheering squad for participants along the route.
If you have questions, please call the Race hotline at 866-971-CURE (2873). For information about the Race check our website at www.komennctc.org. Thank you again for your help in making this event a success.