WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- Seven years after an associate professor sued UNCW over a denied promotion, the teacher and school have reached a settlement.
In March a jury sided with Dr. Mike Adams on a First Amendment claiming discrimination or retaliation on the basis of his protected free speech. The court ordered UNCW to promote Adams to full professor with back pay plus interest. Adams also wanted attorneys fees and costs of more than $1 million from the school.
After the case went through federal mediation, UNCW and Adams reached the following settlement terms:
1) Payment by UNCW of attorney's fees and costs of $615k without interest;
2) Payment by UNCW of back pay to Dr. Adams in the amount of $50k without interest;
3) Annual salary for Adams of approximately $75,000 per year;
4) Annual evaluations for Dr. Adams will include reviewers outside of his academic department.
5) Withdrawal of the university’s appeal;
6) Full resolution of any and all claims that were brought by Adams or could have been brought by Adams against UNCW, the University, and any University employee or official.
UNCW's Governance Committee approved the terms in closed session.