30 area nonprofits awarded COVID-19 relief funds
Funding awards are based on need and between $10,000 and $50,000 per organization.
NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — New Hanover County is providing $700,000 to 30 local nonprofits that have been negatively impacted by COVID-19, through funding from the American Rescue Plan.
The funding awards will be used to mitigate financial hardships as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, and will support payroll and benefit costs, costs to retain employees, mortgage, rent or utilities costs and other operating expenses for the nonprofits.
“I am so glad we are able to assist 30 of our nonprofit partners, who continue to work tirelessly and with incredible passion to meet some of the greatest needs in our community,” said Board of Commissioners Chair Julia Olson-Boseman. “Their work has been vital throughout the pandemic. They have changed their service delivery models to fit the needs of residents in these trying times and remained a constant for so many who have needed their help. Their resources, support and services will continue to be critical as we experience the pandemic’s long-term impacts; and New Hanover County is committed to helping them fulfill their missions and continue their important work to make a difference in our community and the lives of everyone who lives here.”
The county partnered with Cape Fear Collective to administer the funding applications and form an awards committee made up of local community members to review the applications and determine the organizations that met the award criteria and demonstrated the greatest need.
The awards committee included Mebane Boyd, Sharm Brantley, Evelyn Bryant, Joe Conway, Ashley Daniels, Chris Teeter, and Rebecca Trammel.
“Being a part of this process, as a community member, was humbling, heartfelt, and exciting,” said committee member Joe Conway. “So many organizations achieve groundbreaking work and use innovation to accomplish what may seem like the impossible. As one person on this team, I sincerely value this experience and knowledge gained about how our county leaders endeavor to put action behind mitigating disparities within this community.”
Funding awards are based on need and between $10,000 and $50,000 per organization. The organizations that will be receiving county ARP funding are:
- A Bike for Every Child
- Centre of Redemption, dba A Safe Place
- Accessible Coastal Carolina Events, Sports and Services
- Advance Youth Outreach
- Bargain Box of Wilmington
- Blank Canvas Awareness Art
- Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Raleigh
- Cape Fear HealthNet, Inc.
- Cape Fear Volunteer Center and Big Buddy
- Child Development Center, Inc.
- Coastal Bringing Up Down Syndrome
- Coastal Horizons/Open House Youth Shelter Program
- Community Counseling Center
- Community Enrichment Initiatives Inc.
- Diaper Bank of North Carolina
- Domestic Violence Shelter and Services
- Family Promise of the Lower Cape Fear
- Financial Protection Law Center
- Leading Into New Communities dba LINC, Inc.
- NSEA Swim
- Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration SENC
- Seeds of Healing
- Soaring as Eagles Outreach Ministry
- The Feast Congregation
- The Kairos Center
- The LGBTQ Center of the Cape Fear Coast
- Vigilant Hope, Inc.
- Wilmington Area Rebuilding Ministry, Inc.
- YWCA of the Lower Cape Fear